• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only half powered?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkWhite

I've been having some minor issues that I've posted about around here, and the general consensus has been that I should have gone for a higher quality power supply. I accept that, for my first build it's gone pretty well (except ordering the wrong mobo, but that's fixed now).
I was running some OCCT tests, and noticed that my 3.3v was registering as 1.15, while my 5v was at 5.05v
So my issue is the 3.3v and I have a questions to go about it.

Is the number OCCT giving me valid? I've seen the sticky recomending multimeters, but I'd assume that OCCT is close enough for me right now, correct?
Is it possible I've made a simple mistake that's causing this issue?
And third of all, is it possible this is affecting my graphics card?
It's been running significantly under it's stock clock for some time and this may save me some trouble dealing with XFX.

RaidMax RX-730SS PSU
Asus M4A79T deluxe mobo
P2 965
XFX Radeon HD4850
Total of 7 Fans, 1 HDD (SATA), 1DVD (IDE) peripherals

The number OCCT gives you is as valid as you are going to get without a MM. But if it was that low, its out of spec and may not run any perihperals that use that line. So close enough??? ehhh, I would get a MM and test it out if you dont return that massive POS PSU you have there.

Not possible you caused that 3v line to sag, no.

I do not believe that the GPU uses the 3v rail for powering itself..maybe in stnadby or something, I dont know. In normal operation its major load is from the 12v rail.

Just get another PSU as suggested in your other thread.. :)

Last edited:
Get a multi meter, they're $7 at harbor freight and far more accurate then any software voltage reading.
I don't think the computer would be functioning at all with a 1.1v 3.3v line.

my problem is that I'm a 15-year old kid that spent all his money on his first rig and has 48 cents left in his bank account. A new power supply, especially a quality one, is completely out of the option here.
And under the money thing, I can't get a multimeter either; BUT my high school tech department will probaby have one lying around, would it be possible for me to just bring in my power supply and be able to test it, no computer attached?
Thanks for the responses guys.

Back