• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinion's On My A64 set-up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

After X-Mas I'm sending off for my future upgrade parts (see sig below) I'm keeping the memory, Hard drive, Optical drives and just purchasing a new board, CPU and G.Card.

I was thinking of also buying a 36gb or 74gb Raptor to use as my main drive for Windows XP Pro. And then using the 80gb Hitachi as a 2nd drive for Games, Music and pictures etc the new motherboard supports a RAID set-up but I've never done one before.

So I'm staying away anyways is it a good set-up to begin with for the new year.

AOPEN sk939 motherboard
AMD A64 3200+
GEIL 1GB PC3200 DDR Memory
36/74gb Raptor For Op System
80gb Hitachi Deskstar for Games, Music Etc
Benq DVD-RW
Sony DVD-ROM
6800GS 128mb PCI-E Card
Hiper 580watt PSU

Is there anything I should change I think my budget is about £400 but it could be more if I can sell my AOPEN sk A motherboard, AMD 2500+ Barton, FX5200 128mb AGP card (Changed to 6200 recently) and the 6200 it's self since my new board is PCI-E.

I would get rid of the Aopen mobo and the Hiper PSU in place of a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D (or if not overclocking, get something from ASRock, or ASUS if you can afford it) and a Fortron 500W Blue Storm. Even if you're not overclocking, I don't trust lower quality parts, especially when it comes to PSUs (see thread in case/PSU section about the powmax blowing up). Everything else looks good though.

Definitly a new PSU, the Fortronis a good choice. For the motherboard I'd say go with the DFI, Asus, or EPoX boards which all seem to be quality. For optical drives I like NEC but that may be a personal thing for me. Also you may want to consider a larger HDD, I have an 80 gig and within two months I filled it and now have to delete and uninstall things until I get a new one.

EDIT: I just noticed I have four stars :santa:

Back