• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Options for someone who can be forgetfull (info storage)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

I just wanted to ask what options may be available for storing important info / passwords for someone who can be forgetful at times, in such a sense they may forget a USB key at home or something or loose it.

I need something / someplace for storing some important data like passwords, network info and such, possibly some http hosted solution we can host locally, or other encrypted options perhaps a hidden partition on their computer or over the network?

Any idea's would be appreciated

i used to use a method where i will take a .txt file of sensitive info, zip it using a program called alzip (a korean winzip pretty much) which creates an extension .alz with a password i choose. not a lot of people use this program so i felt it was good. but of course people could just look up extensions on the net. so i would change the extension to .poop, which changes the icon to a i-have-no-idea-what-this-is paper icon. and i put that file in my docs next to my other architecture school files and name it "space diagram". so whoever wants my stuff, they have to get to my computer, then know that this file called "space diagram" (a common terminology in architecture) has my sensitive info (also calling it space diagram makes people think it's more likely an image file like .jpg than a text file), then has to realize that .poop can't be opened with any program known to man, has to know to change this to .alz to make it recognizable, then has to know a final password to extract the files

now...i use another trick to not even deal with physical evidence. for example, for internet bank my password would be "internet bank", but i change that word to korean which would be pronounced "een-tuh-net eun-hang", then i type that word as i would on a korean keyboard but on a us keyboard which looks like "dlsxjsptdmsgod"

fyi that is not my online bank password...just an example

the key is to be creative and find what works for you...and if possible don't write anything down. it's just like sex...not doing it is the only 100% way you'll be protected from viruses (pun pun)

Ya, for me i have no issues, for the person this is for, they can forget their own windows password that is their own name more often then not..lol

I have about 50 different passwords, and had big problems regarding this issue. I then got a program called keepassX (I think it's keepass for windows) which is a free password management tool.

The passwords are stored in an encrypted database file which can be stored somewhere that you can reach (for example in an email). This means that when you need to get the passwords somewhere you just need the application, and you are set.

Ya, for me i have no issues, for the person this is for, they can forget their own windows password that is their own name more often then not..lol

Give them a notepad, a pen, a closet safe, a medium fire proof safe, a small briefcase fireproof safe

Tell them to write the passwords written backwards on the notepad with the pen, put it in the smallest safe, lock it with a key, put that in medium safe, lock with second key, put the in the closet safe which should be bolted to floor and wall, lock with key and combination, then for combo use something like last #'s of social, phone number, birthday or something said person can remember... then tell them to put the keys around their neck on a heavy duty chain... :)

LOL the safe method..LOL

then he would loose the key :), even with the chain! (i dont know how often they leave his cell phone and keys around the office somewhere and don't realize it until they leaves that day)

i am checking out some password management tools, but i also need something to which i can store documents safely, as i am writing various guides for trouble shooting and access info for them for when i am out of town.

LOL the safe method..LOL

then he would loose the key :), even with the chain! (i dont know how often they leave his cell phone and keys around the office somewhere and don't realize it until they leaves that day)

i am checking out some password management tools, but i also need something to which i can store documents safely, as i am writing various guides for trouble shooting and access info for them for when i am out of town.

Back