• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Options for using Bittorrent Securely?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MKOIS

I am looking to hide/dissclose my IP from my ISP when I use a torrent client. I cannot seem to mind many options out there and the ones I do are either old or unsuppported.

Ideas?

I probably just don't understand what you're trying to do, but I don't think that it's possible to "hide" your IP from the folks that give you your IP.

I have an idea of what your trying to get going. Your not wanting to hide your IP, your wanting to hide the BT traffic on the ISP. Since your IP gateway gives your DHCP IP. Your not going to hide the IP from the machine that gives you the address in the first place.. Which in your case, might be the ISP.
Set your router, if you own one/it. To be your DHCP server. You will have a local IP now. Using the router also for the nameserver. Using something like opendns for name resolution.

Now your going to need a VPN tunnel service. Setting the VPN up as per your needs/service. This might slow your traffic down if your on a fast line. But it will encrypt the traffic over that specific tunneled IP. Or more direct wording Bittorrent vpn service.

The VPN will cost, also a router capable of handling the traffic/IP routing. But it is the way to do it. The free VPN services/proxys are junk and can cause issues being unstable, unsecured or exceedingly slow.. Most of all, not get you what you want.

I itallic'ed the prominent terms you're going to be looking for. I think I am pushing the site rules here, maybe even assisting you in bypassing your ISP ToS. So in order to help you learn to keep anonymous. I am simply giving the tools you're going to need, and let you figure it out. Which is.. Technical and just good to know for any geek. Anymore and I will cross the line I believe. So vague it is. I just hope you have enough information to get going on your goals. Learning what you need. My input gives the benefit of picking up, how to securely network your home computers. Which is the information I am giving actually. Not showing you how to bypass stuff.

Last edited:
Back