• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Outpost 1.6 Duron/Mobo $39.99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, I'm pretty tempted to get this combo... But I got to ask first, what do you guys think about using it as a lan gaming machine. I'm not expecting super computer results, but I mean, will it run newer games w/ low settings? This would be my first amd, so I have no idea.

Thanks

My combo arrived yesterday :). I know it's unlikely it'll work but I'm going to try enabling the full 256k cache. I owned a 1.4Ghz Duron in November that was superlocked and I successfully enabled the cache on that one after a few tries. That 1.4 was a week 10 of 2004, but on the minus side it had a brown PCB, not the green one like these 1.6s. This processor was so cheap I'll take the risk and try it. Update to follow this weekend after the attempt.

Regarding the use of this combo as a LAN game machine, it will run most modern games given a decent vid card and 512mb of memory. Any overclock, even a modest one, will help but it should run say HL2 or halo right out of the box. Doom3 has a min requirement of a 1.5Ghz CPU as another example so it should run that too.

You may want to consider selling the motherboard on ebay, getting around $20 for it. Then you can buy a refurb nForce2 motherboard from newegg. I've purchased two Shuttle AN35N Ultras for $33 a piece shipped and one Biostar MN7CD for $30 shipped as examples. Any nForce2 MB will give you 1Mhz FSB adjustments up to and over 200Mhz (well beyond what you could use with this chip) while keeping the PCI/AGP busses locked. Ultras will also generally give you vcore control, but this isn't required because you can adjust it through a wire trick if necessary.

So for a roughly $10 or $15 additional investment (possibly less depending on how much you get for the PC Chips board) you could easily push this Duron beyond 2Ghz. My 1.6 is going in the Biostar so I'll post back with the OC results when I get done tinkering. I'm expecting something in the 2.1-2.2Ghz range... at least. Just as a FYI I plan to use a 512mb PC3200 module on sale at microcenter for $40 ($100 with $60 in rebates) and a GF4 Ti4200 (my recommendation for a fast cheap card) I had laying around, and to give the machine to my brother for gaming.

Hmm I might oh gotten this but I would need new ram for it any way. And what was it again 2300 ram so getting such out dated ram seems like such a waist to me.

tenchi86 said:
Hmm I might oh gotten this but I would need new ram for it any way. And what was it again 2300 ram so getting such out dated ram seems like such a waist to me.

I just threw in some older PC-3200 sticks i had laying around, runs fine.

tenchi86 said:
Oh so it can handle more then 2300 then. Maybe I read it wrong or something. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, the PC-3200 obviously won't run at those speeds, but it will work in the board. Just a waste of good PC-3200 if nothing else. Lucky i have some laying around that i can put to use there.

Yo, I just checked my second duron, and it is exact same stepping too. It is different however. The core is blue, and on the other one the core is pink.

Well, since no one else is updating, i will..

Got mine up and running, it's running along side an old 15GB WD 2mb 5,400 HD, Nvidia MX 4000, Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1, Thermaltake 480w PSU, 2x256 Mushkin BH5 (only thing i had to put there, quite a waste, i know :p), Lian Li PC-65 (another waste). And i must say, after loading XP SP1, this thing is pretty much only good for word processing/web browsing. It's a cool little $40 computer, but besides that, it's pretty worthless to me. I now have a web browser for my wife, so she doesn't have to use any of my other computers :p Overall, a good deal, however, not really worth anything other than a folder/web browser/word processor to me. I was at Fry's today, and almost bought another combo, but decided my $40 bucks could be put to better use. What is everyone else using theirs for?

Edit: On the plus side, it runs at 1.83Ghz stable on this motherboard. Testing to see if it can take more with its limited options. :p

duron.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my combo to upgrade my kids computer- It had been a Asus A7V133/1.4 Tbird/ combo, running 5 year olds' games.

That combo I built into a rig for my sister (whose P2 500 mhz was overwhelmed).

I tried the L2 unlocking on the Duron without success, will try it again next week.

I have the combo currently running at 12 X 150 - 1800 and it's very stable. I raised the bus to 165 (Max) and it locked up so through testing I backed it up to 150.

I am temporarily using a 512 stick of Mushkin Level II Black PC3500 (BH-5) from my main rig util I find some used PC2100. I messed around with the timings and it didn't like it so I ended up resetting them to default, except the CAS Latency I left at 2.0.

I'll post a CPUID screen shot later.

itshondo: Here is some info on the Shuttle AK32VN:
http://global.shuttle.com/Product/MotherBoard/mbd_Spec.asp?M_id=53

I have one and I can get 165 on the FSB easily, just my video card sometimes messes up since it doesn't have any locks.

As far as Duron performance, I have an 0336 that I got earlier this year from Micro Center to upgrade from my Pentium 1 @ 200 MHz. I didn't care too much that it wasn't the fastest, as anything fairly new would be better than what I was running. I originally used it on the AK32VN, and it oced to 1980MHz (board max) easily with no voltage adjustments. It was pretty decent for games and other general use, but all of my games are a few years old because of my last computer.

In case anyone is wondering, even though there are some very tall caps near the socket, I had no problem mounting a SLK-900A & 92mm Enermax fan.

No. I've tried six times now and unless someone does it successfully I'm done trying. I really think the L2 bridges don't function, although the 4th one is cut which makes me wonder...

Back