• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocked XP-M 2600+ sometimes won't boot, but is stable under Windows!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gaca

Configuration:

Soltek SL-85FRN2-L
Athlon XP-M 2600+
Albatron GeForce 6800GT
1GB DDR400 PQI (dont now exact model, but its cheap RAM)
Audigy 2 ZS
Terratec TV Tuner
56k modem
120GB Maxtor 7200rpm
LG 4x DVD+-R
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM
Sharkoon 350W PSU

I ovc 2600+ to 2.3GHz (11.5 x 200 1.65V) and it is perfectly stable. I tried 2.4GHz but it is crashing when testing with Prime95, even when I try it under 1.85V. I am happy with 2.3GHz, bur sometimes computer won't boot. It boots only when I unplug the power cable. Sometimes I have to do that more than once. I only have this problem when I ovc a cpu, same happened when I had T-Bred 2200+ (ovc to 2GHz) with Kingston Value DDR333. A locked Barton 2500+ works fine, as T-bred did on 1.8GHz. I suspected a PSU problem, however this PSU worked fine with 2.4GHz P4. I also changed video card with an old TNT2, but I run into same problem. I suspect its the motherboard, allthough I bought it because it was recomended for ovc.

Any idea?

I just build a system almost exactly like what you built.

I haven't had that problem, so I can't really help you. Sorry.

Welcome to the forums by the way! :)

-Sam

I have almost the same setup for the CPU...windows wouldnt boot sometimes when i had it at 1.65V...put it to 1.7 and it runs perfectly, prime 95 stable too, oh and my temps didnt increase much, if any at all

In fact, computer starts, but the monitor stays in stand-by mode

Hi and welcome to the forums! So basically you are saying you can hear your computer post and start up windows but the monitor is in standby mode correct so nothing is visible on screen?

yeah, but I dont think it is starting up windows because leds on optical drives are flashing all the time, wich is not the case when it boots normally

Then it is not posting or booting up correctly! I too go along the lines of the psu being the problem now. But check your monitor cable anyway.

I definetelly should get a more powerfull PSU. I guess I could push that CPU even more. I was expecting 12.5 x 200 1.75V, but it was foolish to expect that from a 350W PSU with a 6800GT installed, plus I have too many USB devices that take power from motherboard.

thanx for the help everyone and I'm happy to be joining you ....

Back