• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conviction

Ok so heres the thing
I bought a gaming computer a few months back:

AMD Llano A6-3500 2.1 GHz TripleCore
AMD Radeon HD 6530D 1GB DDR5
4GB RAM DDR3
500 Watt OCZ

I thought it was pretty weak so I upgraded it to:
AMD Llano A6-3670 2.7 GHz QuadCore
AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB GHz Edition DDR5
8GB RAM DDR3
600 Watt CoolerMaster

Now I wanted to overclock my processor to something like 3.4 GHz or 3.2 GHz so first I checked my temperature etc etc and it was fine so I tried 3.4 GHz in the bios and then my Windows doesn't even start it just crashes when it says: Windows is starting so I tried 3.2 GHz and it did the same
Then I tried 3.0 GHz and my Windows would start but everytime I try to play a game it crashes so then I did 2.9 GHz and it worked
But whats the problem? Because I do wanna overclock it to 3.4 GHz

We certainly need to know at the first what motherboard is in use.

Then >>

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

if it helps i lose analog (vga video) past 3.1ghz on my a6-3650 when overclocking these it ups the frequency on everything not just the cpu so it makes stuff freak out, such as usb3.0 and analog onboard video

if it helps i lose analog (vga video) past 3.1ghz on my a6-3650 when overclocking these it ups the frequency on everything not just the cpu so it makes stuff freak out, such as usb3.0 and analog onboard video
You need to use DVI or HDMI/DP to OC past ~115 with the BCLK.

conviction, when i have early problems booting i drag out my manual and do a CMOS reset and this cures most of my problems. two impotant steps in the process are to unplug the power cord from the wall and to remove the battery first.
Plaese try this first, it resets the motherboard.

Where's that coming from? Seems like to me people are trying to help you but you aren't trying their suggestions.
Actually there was only 1 guy so far that suggested me to do something and I was about to tell that I can't unplug the power cord from the wall or do a CMOS reset or remove the battery because my parents don't allow me to (I am 11) but I thought: Maybe I should wait for 2 days and see if other people suggest something else
But no there was no one so instead of complaining about it you could also suggest something

You have a very outdated version of CPUz in the 1.58 Version. The later ones are in the 1.64 Version type. Old versions of CPUz can barely recognize newer AMD cpus or APUs.

You say you have an A6-3670 processor but in n0ne of AMDs list of APUs does it show such a processor. It does show an A6-3670K APU.

The "K" in the model number of the processor indicates a BE type processor with an UNLOCKED upward multiplier. So in reality you should be able to overclock or speed up the processor by increasing the multiplier and not having to fool with the FSB. That is why AMD finally released such unlocked upward multiplier cpus.

A6-3670K PIB processor in the box.
HD 6530D Graphics equivalent.
2.7GHz Cpu speed in Ghz.
4 cores Number of cores.
100W TDP rating.
4MB L2 cache.
320 Radeon Cores.
444 MHz GPU clock speed stock.
11 Supports DirectX 11.
UVD3
1866 Supported ram speed.

I tried to get you to show CPUz and HWMonitor so that the "few" people that have been using an APU might know at least what motherboard and cpu you were using since the motherboard was not named in the original post.

In all honestly, with your post in the CPU section of the forum, there maybe only about 30 people even posting about the AMD APU. Not a lot of people and I have seen only two or three or maybe four users at the most that have tried to help out. There maybe many that have an APU but there are very few people that regularly try to help those that post for help be it APU or AMD CPU actually.

So truthfully, I am not overly surprised that you have not received a lot of 'help' posts.

Does that cheaper GA-A55M-DS2 motherboard allow the changing of the multiplier upwards? That way you would not have to deal with FSB overclocking and overspeeding the ram. When you first posted and before I started to write this post, I did a g00gle of reviews of that motherboard and posts in other forums about that board and it did not rank very well in being a good overclocker, but that was before the unlocked "K" type processors just released and you bought recently.

If that board allowed bios changing of multiplier to more than 27, then you ought to be able to overclock the Cpu side of that APU pretty easily.

For us to be able to SEE what speed the cpu actually is able to run you would have to set windows power mode to "performance" so that the cpu section would not automatically drop back to 800Mhz when not under load. A considerable number of things to be handled at your end before we actually could do much to assist in the long run.

EDIT:
I see you have posted before I finished writing this. You say your parents will not allow you to do anything with the wall outlets because of your age. I imagine they do not even wish you to be taking a chance on adjusting the speed of the processor and get into a situation where you might need to Clear the CMOS.
END EDIT.

LOL...

Well perhaps your parents also should have taught you that attitudes will get you nowhere in life... and that when asking others for help you need to show a little more respect.

Our hands are kinda tied if you're not able to reset the CMOS to start from scratch.

We have no other way of walking you through all the BIOS settings to help.

I'm sure that if your parents won't allow you to do the above... They probably wouldn't want you trying to OC the thing anyway.

Concerning resetting the CMOS, you might try the argument with your parents, "What do we have to lose? The computer is useless like it is."

Actually there was only 1 guy so far that suggested me to do something and I was about to tell that I can't unplug the power cord from the wall or do a CMOS reset or remove the battery because my parents don't allow me to (I am 11) but I thought: Maybe I should wait for 2 days and see if other people suggest something else
But no there was no one so instead of complaining about it you could also suggest something

Sorry this free tech support isn't coming as quickly as you would like. I would also like to apologize on behalf of everyone here about your parents not letting you do some of the helpful steps we recommend. We'll try to do better next time.

You want me to suggest something? If your parents don't trust you enough to unplug things from the wall then you probably shouldn't be venturing into overclocking.

Okay, so "[you] thought it was pretty weak so [you] upgraded it to:
AMD Llano A6-3670 2.7 GHz QuadCore
AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB GHz Edition DDR5
8GB RAM DDR3
600 Watt CoolerMaster"
and you wanted to overclock it, and went into the BIOS to do so (which is the correct way). Then, you ran into problems, so you came here for help (good).

Then, caddi daddi suggested that you do a (pretty routine) CMOS reset, to which he received no reply.

Then, 2 days later, you reply with an angry-looking post because you feel that noone is helping you (not so good).

Finally, after trents asks you about said post, you reply that you are not allowed to do a (pretty standard) CMOS reset, because you are 11 and your parents won't let you.

Am I following so far, or did I miss something?

First, how were we supposed to know that you are 11? Second, why didn't you just tell caddi daddi that you weren't allowed to do a CMOS reset? Third, I thought "you" upgraded that system, right? How, did you pick the parts and have your parents buy them? Did you personally swap the parts? Finally, if your parents aren't comfortable with you entering the case to do a (pretty routine) CMOS reset, how comfortable can they be with you manually changing system-altering variables within the BIOS?

Okay guys we probably need to just back-off a little bit since we know now that he is likely not going to be able to do as most of us know we must do when trying to overspeed our stuff. After all, we finally know he is 11. At 11, I did a lot of things but that was in a different century from now. He likely was born in the 21st century. Heck many of us were born in the 20th century and some of us in the Mid 20th century.

He can read anything on the internet about speeding up parts and pieces, but most of us foot the bills for our hobby of over-clocking and have a little more age on our chassis.

I expect he should just use the system as his parents will allow and call it good at this time.

Concerning resetting the CMOS, you might try the argument with your parents, "What do we have to lose? The computer is useless like it is."

true that! tell them be like running an old K6 moddle 7's with a fsb of 66mhz and core clock of 300mhz (only difrence being u have 4 cores instead of 1) with 350nm tech and 2.2volts. lmao wow hard to balieve that was only 13 years ago.

tell them u have a dedicated group of men, willing to help u and/or youre father get the pc up n running to expected ratings. cant hurt

Last edited:
Okay guys we probably need to just back-off a little bit since we know now that he is likely not going to be able to do as most of us know we must do when trying to overspeed our stuff. After all, we finally know he is 11. At 11, I did a lot of things but that was in a different century from now. He likely was born in the 21st century. Heck many of us were born in the 20th century and some of us in the Mid 20th century.

He can read anything on the internet about speeding up parts and pieces, but most of us foot the bills for our hobby of over-clocking and have a little more age on our chassis.

I expect he should just use the system as his parents will allow and call it good at this time.

I agree, and if I had seen all of the posts that were going on before I posted my $.02, I wouldn't have bothered.

true that! tell them be like running an old K6 moddle 7's with a fsb of 66mhz and core clock of 300mhz with 350nm tech and 2.2volts. lmao wow hard to balieve that was only 13 years ago.

tell them u have a dedicated group of men, willing to help u and/or youre father get the pc up n running to expected ratings. cant hurt

Agreed. I think it's great when kids to get into the hardware aspect of computer systems. I feel like Conviction is capable and intelligent enough to figure out what needs to be done in the BIOS and the case, provided his parents will allow it.

I agree, and if I had seen all of the posts that were going on before I posted my $.02, I wouldn't have bothered.

Agreed. I think it's great when kids to get into the hardware aspect of computer systems. I feel like Conviction is capable and intelligent enough to figure out what needs to be done in the BIOS and the case, provided his parents will allow it.

ya i think its great that an 11 year old actualy has the "want to" and intelligents to try and fix/upgrade a pc. i think thats awsome in its owne. most 11 year olds dont know were the power buton is little lone what a cpu motherboard bios are! keep it up guy just make sure ur parents are in on evrything u do last thing we want is for u to fry somthing or yourself!

Back