• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OverClocking Q6600 to 3.0GHz temp issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ric2L

I recently built my first computer, and today I decided to try to overclock to 3.0Ghz. I got everything stable ran Prime 95 for an hour with no issues. However my core temps were a little high. Core 0-60, Core 1-59, Core 2-52, Core 3-50. this was at full load running prime. at idle I'm at 42, 39, 37, 36. My N/B temp was at 47 the whole run, and is at 44 idle. I'd really like to get the temps down while under load say around 50 to 55 max. (temps are from CoreTemp, & N/B temp has a thermal sensor on it ran to my front panel)

I'm running an Asus Maximus Formula bios v1004, Q6600, air cooled w/Asus Slient Knight II

Here is my bios set up:

Extreme Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
OC From CPU Level Up : AUTO
CPU Ratio Control : Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting :9
FSB Frequency : 333
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR2- 1066
DRAM Command Rate : 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency : 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5
RAS# Precharge : 5
RAS# ActivateTime : 12
RAS# to RAS# Delay : 4
Row Refresh Cycle Time : 55
Write Recovery Time : 5
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : 9
Write to Read Delay (S) : 5
Write to Read Delay (D) : 5
Read to Read Delay (S) : 4
Read to Read Delay (D) : 6
Write to Write Delay (S) : 4
Write to Write Delay (D) : 6
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled
Ai Clock Twister : Auto
Transaction Booster : Disabled

CPU Voltage : Auto
CPU PLL Voltage : Auto
North Bridge Voltage : Auto
DRAM Voltage : 1.88
FSB Termination Voltage : Auto
South Bridge Voltage : Auto
Loadline Calibration : Auto
CPU GTL Reference : Auto
North Bridge GTL Reference : Auto
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : Auto
SB 1.5V Voltage : Auto

NB LED Selection : NB Volt
SB LED Selection : SB Volt
CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt
Voltiminder LED : Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum : Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Auto

Advanced CPU Configuration
CPU Ratio Control : Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting : 9.0
C1E Suppport : Disabled
CPU TM Function : Enabled
Vanderpool Technology : Enabled
Execute Disable Bit : Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled

USB Configuration
USB Functions: Enabled
Legacy USB Support : Disabled

In the Bios Hardware Monitor I have the following:
Vcore Voltage 1.240
Cpu PLL Voltage 1.600
N/B Voltage 1.360
Dram Voltage 1.952
FSB Termination Voltage 1.328
S/B Voltage 1.072
DDR2 Controller Ref 0.976
S/B 1.5v 1.520
3.3v 3.264
5v 4.944
12v 12.040

I would like to lower my CPU & N/B Voltages, but not sure where to start, or where to set them at, or if there is any other voltages I can lower to get better temps.

I'm very new to overclocking this is my first time trying, your "How to Overclock a Q6600" sticky at the begining of this forum was very helpful, got me to this point, just got to get it a little cooler.

Thanks, Rick

Just a thought about your temps. do you have anythin in your bios that controls the fan speeds? if so disable it and your temps might come down. my load temps at 3.2 were about 58c thats with the rig in my sig

what are you r ambient temps? have youi tried reapplying your heatsink? if your heatsink is on right, there isnt much you can do but lower your ambients temps in the room your system runs in

I just replaced my intake and exhaust fans with 2 Aerocool Extreme Turbine fans. Right now while im typing this temps are 38 36 33 33, N/B is 37, much cooler than before. system is definatly noiser, but its moving two to three times the air it was with my cooler master fans. I'll monitor for awhile and see how it goes.

thanks

CPU Voltage : Auto
try 1.35v

1.35 for a 3.0?

Mines stable at 1.26, But yes, you need to find a low voltage where your cpu is stable.

Go ahead and start it at 1.35 and run prime 95, if its stable for about an hour, drop it a little bit. Do that till you find a nice low voltage that still has your CPU stable.

1.35v in bios may be only 1.26v under load due to vdrop and vdroop depending on your board. Auto tends to over compensate and overvolt. I have 1.375v in bios but under load it droops down to 1.280v. I am stable at 3.33ghz.

My voltage is set to 1.4v @ 3.6GHz and my temps are just under 60c per CoreTemp's readings under load using a TRUE and 120mm fan on high - 1.35v seems awful high for 3.0GHz OC. You should be able to achieve that close to stock voltages.

Wow, thanks for the input guys, I'll try 1.35 and work down from there, don't have the time right now to mess with it, prob not til early next week. I'll let ya no how it goes

thanks, Rick

I got my temps down with voltage adjustment, now while running Prime95 I never went over 57 56 52 52 , averaged 55 53 50 49, my idle temps are in the mid to high 30's. The N/B is down to 36, never went over 40 while testing I guess the new fans really helped out there. I currently have the CPU voltage set in Bios at 1.24 which shows on the hardware monitor in the bios as 1.192. That really supprised me that I could go that low. So far its very stable, passed all prime tests. I think I will try to go even lower tomorrow. Next will be to go for 3.2GHz, not sure how that will work out, guess I'll have to go 400x8 to keep ram at 1066, not sure about that though.

I'm open for any suggestions,

Rick

keeping your ram at 1:1 ratio would mean underclocking the ram to ddr800 at 400x8 on the cpu
id do that then creep your bus up by increments of 5mhz

Back