• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockix- Diskless crunching made-easy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
News about the savewu feature- if you create a persistent home directory on a usb pen drive or local hard drive- then reboot with the appropriate cheatcode: home=scan (in addition to any other cheatcodes you use)

Your crunching/folding will automatically be done on that medium and therefore powerloss or rebooting will not affect them.

All that's left is to get samba working again and tinker on my script that will back-up a work unit to a netowrk shared hard drive on another computer....

xUltra said:
i just skimmed over this thread but Knoppix is a small distrobution of linux but if you really wanted to try a "real" version your scripts should work the same.

Here are some Linux Distros:

http://www.gentoo.org/ <----- Amazing Performance, not made for the newbie!!!
http://www.debian.org/
http://www.redhad.com/ <----Best for newbies
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/

***Make sure you know alot about partitioning before installing***

:p :p :p

Knoppix is actually a CD bootable Linux distro based on Debian. Just out of curiosity is Redhad really the best distro for newbies;) or would a CD bootable linux distro that didn't mess up there current install actually be best for someone who is wanting to see what linux is about?

About Linux distros-

Knoppix is a live evaluation bootable CD of Debain. It is small since it all fits on one CD, but its really almost 2GB worth of stuff compressed down to 700mb. It runs from CD and puts nothing on your hdd's unless you want it to.

Linux comes in a wide variety of distributions all geared to a slightly different purpose and organized slightly differently. My scripts will work in any linux distro, though there are some peculiar details such as havinbg to copy the DC client exe's from one location on the CD into the ramdisk which would not be necessary in a hdd-installed distro.

The reason I made overclockix is so that it seti or folding can be run without a hdd in a cluster-style setup with barbones hardware. It's also been modified to include other burn-in applications, network monitoring and security apps, as well as filesystem and low-level hardware tools- so its a pretty handy system recovery disk if one takes a little time to learn how to use these tools.

Finally, my take on distro selsection for newbies has changed somewhat since I tried knoppix and remastered it into overclockix. I started out on redhat personally, and I still think that redhat, suse, and mandrake are good Linux distros for beginners. But I've also come to believe that knoppix or its variants like overclockix are also a good way to start out in linux. For one thing- configuration happens at boot-time and takes about 1 minute. At most, the user will want to set a few simple options called "cheatcodes".

These live evaultions CD's do not install anything to a hdd, and yet give the full functionality of Linux for as long as you're booted into them, hence the nickname Linux demo CD's. The fact that knoppix/overclockix include an install script is another push in the right direction for a newbie looking to try linux for the first time. Its not very hard to install an OS like this (expecially not compared to debian), and there's a pretty good guide for doing so on knoppix.net. Because Debian uses a system for managing packages called apt-get which is in some ways much easier to use than the rpm system found in mandrake, suse, and redhat- its live eval CD's like knoppix and overclockix have added appeal to someone new to linux. And lastly, overclockix comes with DC clients, burn-in apps, scripts to make running them easy, some advanced tools, and a fairly pimped-out desktop look. It might be just the thing for an overclocker to play with...

Its like entering a pool via the stairs instead of the diving board. You can play around with it for a long time before trying to install it. Its mostly pre-configured when you do install it. But ultimately you'll still wind up in the pool, and will have to learn to swim, same as in any other distro.

Last edited:
I've been reading up on this, and I was wrong earlier about terminal services...

Terminal services are installed on this CD, so you can run a whole LAN off of just one CD.

Expect instructions for setting it up in the next release. Shouldn't be too hard. Should be available before 8/15. You can also just scope the instructions on www.knoppix.net/docs and ask questions in those forums if you have trouble.

I suggest that any configs you create for running a DHCP server and terminal services out of Overclockix- you should save to a physical medium like a floppy. Losing power would cause your server to lose the setup you created and you'd have to redo the procedure on reboot. But at least if you save the confgis it'd be easy to restore.

Gaim supports several clients including yahoo. Just click the account button and add accounts when you first open it.

TC- I've done some work on samba. You should be able to mount network shares. There's some documentation about it since I wrote some shortcut scripts:

LinNeighborhood will be best for linux noobs to use since its graphical and is VERY similar to Windows' Network Neighborhood.
Its in Kstartmenu>Internet>linneighborhood

mountnetdrive 1 [hostname] [sharename] [username]

I had to make knoppix as a user on the windows machine though.... :/

but if you know how to use smbmount, my script is kinda of pointless...

Last edited:
Yes I normally use smbmount or mountsmbfs. I'll try to play with it later, but I'm also going to install the new version of clark connect.

It sounds like one could customize this to be able to run two clients on a dual machine. Is that thinking correct? I have a dual mb that has become unstable in a full configuration but might be able to run in such a limited config.

Cy

Yes, that could be done. I just didn't make a second set of launcher scripts for seti or folding because I didn't expect very many duallies to run Overclockix. You should do all of the following as user knoppix, not root.

All one would have to do is:

mkdir /home/knoppix/seti2
cp /usr/local/bin/setiathome /home/knoppix/seti2
cd /home/knoppix/seti2
./setiathome -login -OptionalFlag -OptionalFlag

./setiathome -login -OptionalFlag -OptionalFlag -This is what you'd run any time you want to launch it, but you only need the -login flag the first time in order to create a user_info.sah.
To kill all running seti clients: killall -15 setiathome

You could even examine the existing scripts in /usr/local/bin, and copy them into /home/knoppix. Then just edit them so that where they set up seti in /home/knoppix/seti, you change those lines to /home/knoppix/seti2. And also add this as the second line of the script: mkdir /home/knoppix/seti2

You should also rename any script you do this to.
Make it executable:
chmod +x [filename][b/]

You would launch it by typing-
cd /home/knoppix
./[filename_of_script]

optional-

PATH=$PATH:/home/knoppix

This would let you launch the script by typing it's filename, without having to cd into /home/knoppix first.

Did I mention I found out you can change resoultion on the fly?

CTRL + ALT + + or - (but only the + and - on the numeric keypad)

http://overclockix.octeams.com

There are now 2 iso's available, Eidolon and Technomancer.

Technomancer features fewer network security apps, but has newer software. It also has Firebird, Mplayer, Ogle, OpenOffice 1.1, some new karamba themes, and transperancy for fluxbox.

It's uploading now, and will be available around 6PM CST 8/19/03.

The shortcut icons for Mplayer and Firebird don't wanna work, so I removed them. You can launch them from a terminal:

mozilla-firebird

gmplayer

Back