• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Overclockix Linux - OCF, lend us your skills!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whatever support/configuration files it puts in a home directory, you can just capture down into /opt or /usr somewhere and load them with a script after the user has been created when the system boots???

I suppose that might be possible. I'd have to see if there is a built in hook to perform tasks after user creation to do so as that seems like the most logical approach if things would go that way. If one doesn't exist, I might be able to create one.

Stratus_ss - looking at the installer, I am not sure if I will be able to include that as is since the live user's home directory doesn't exist until runtime. Would it be possible to get it to install and run from /opt/<app_dir>? I hate to make a mess of your application but pre-creating the live user's home directory isn't a very good option as it has the potential to break the user creation process and cause future problems.

It can be run from wherever :) the source is available.

However I have included a setup file which will create the required directories and place the files there. So upon boot the setup file can fun

It creates an icon on the desktop (because I wasn't sure how to make a menu icon :p )

It is however very easy to change the install directory for OCF. For most people it makes sense to put in the users home directory which is why that location was chosen

Ah ok, sounds good. I thought that the application was expecting to be ran from the user's home directory and wouldn't work otherwise. Thanks.

No it doesn't care where its run from but it does expect
Code:
/home/%s/.tux_search

(where %s is the current user)

to exist because thats where it looks for the UI interface and the icons. but like I said it's easily modified to change that to /opt/.tux_search

If you haven't already, try checking out the overclockix thread here:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671690

Development kind of works on the Linux model where anyone can contribute code, suggestions, or ideas. It's hard going directly to people in order to ask for things though, because we don't know exactly what skills people have... If you see something that can be improved however, or something you'd like included, that thread is a good start to ask a question and get people to start figuring out how to make it happen. :)

Also feel free to request custom apps. I use requests as a way to build my programming. I currently offer things in C and python

Back