• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P180 case/fan mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dealmaster

I was wondering if anyone has any advice or guides on how to cram a fan in front of the lower hard drive bay. I would like to put one there to help cool my hard drives, since I'll be piling 4 drives in there soon and I don't want them getting all toasty with each other. If the mod can be done without a dremel, all the better, I have a good power drill, but may not have all the attachments I need to do this mod.

EDIT:
Do you guys think this low profile 120mm fan would fit in there?

Last edited:
with a low-profile fan like that yate loon you linked to, you might barely be able to fit it in. a 100mm would definitely be more of a guarantee though

11-129-154-37.jpg

I'll yank the lower hard drive bay out later on and see if the 120mm fan will fit in there height and width wise, which I think it will. There's a large opening there, it's just not very deep. I also may try and take some measurements to see if the 20mm would be too deep or if it'd fit.

Unless you plan on putting four raptors down there, you dont need it.

The lower chamber fan pulling air over them is a much better option than trying to force air past them. Once the side panel is on, that lower HDD area is sealed if you close the top bit, meaning air has to be pulled from the front past the HDDs. This will provide adequate cooling :)

But if you do decide to mod a fan in there, post pics :D

I was able to fit a standard 92x92x25mm fan down there (just barely, but it fits!). I squeezed the cable in behind the back of one of the drives. This fan moves about 40-45CFM if I recall correctly, and has dropped the temps of all my drives by 3C. Not a bad result. I was able to keep the filter on and everything. All in all well worth it, considering I had the fan lying around, now my drives are running a bit cooler.

Back