• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.4c @75C, How hot is too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huonglant

Registered
I hope this is the right forum to ask about CPU temp.

My P4 2.4C was O/Ced to 3.1g on an Abit IS7-M but I noticed that the CPU temp (from Abit EQ util) showing 75+ C. Is it too hot to damage the CPU ? I never seen it dropped to below 54C even when idle.

Thanks.

huonglant said:
I hope this is the right forum to ask about CPU temp.

My P4 2.4C was O/Ced to 3.1g on an Abit IS7-M but I noticed that the CPU temp (from Abit EQ util) showing 75+ C. Is it too hot to damage the CPU ? I never seen it dropped to below 54C even when idle.

Thanks.

Wa... Thats hot. Anyway if i m nt wrong thermal throttling will come in place at that temp.

I don't even increase the CPU Vcore (only +10%) but it's really sizzling hot. May be I should get another fan/Hs beside using the stock one.

Last edited:
Yes... that's way too hot. I know Abit tends to read a little high, but you are to the point of thermal throttling. Something is wrong with your cooling. Maybe the heatsink is not properly secured? You probably should try reinstalling the heatsink and consider getting some thermal paste instead of using the stock thermal pad. A 10% vcore increase is a little too much with a stock cooler. Set it back to default until you figure out what's wrong. What do you have for case cooling?

You might cook your chip running it that hot. Something is definitely going wrong with the cooling. I thought mine was too hot running at mid 50's with peaks to 60. I finally got it down to low 40's under sustained full load (idles at room temp) by using a big SP-94 heatsink & 92mm Panaflo, AS-5, lapping, and strategic placement/experimenting of 5 case fans, including a big 120mm unit salvaged from an old Compaq Proliant server. I keep the side of my case off too.

I have this Korean made case with good size and air flow (2 fans), when I open 1 side panel, the Vcore drops to 62C, so it's probably the case but I'm not really sure since the Hard drive is hot as hell.

I used the thermal paste (the thick, grey one) but I don't like it, so I wipe it off because It doesn't do any good with either thick or thin or no thermal paste with my CPU.

I tried to lower the vcore down but I think +10% is what it needed to be stable, plus producing massive heat -:)

BTW, we're under the heatwave weather here in California these 2 days (+-100C) and I was trying to challenge my case by putting the cover on at all times and see if it will survive. You're right, I should keep the cover open, just in case my CPU turns scramble eggs

You mean the bad heatsink mounting on the case with the round fan?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Most likely it is a bad heatsink mounting to the motherboard. Back when I had just got my retail 2.6C (using stock cooling), I OC'd to 3.25GHz/250fsb @ 1.675v. My idle temps were around 40C, and load temps never got above 51-52C... and that's with the stock heatsink! My temps are now much cooler with my beloved Cooler Master Jet 4 :D

Hey Betterlife, I have the same Asus A7V266-VM like yours and I love that litle baby board. One thing I like about those Nforce boards for AMD XP is that at least we can run HD with ATA133.

Hmmm... I wasn't aware that the IDE controller on it was ATA133.
Actually I find it very hard to believe... *proof please* :D

The graphics suck on it though. I ran 3DMark01SE on it and the results were quite embarrassing. Some tests wouldn't even run. Score was 1888 :(

However on my beast I get 16400 points :D. Well, I used to. One day I ran the test again and it was only doing 14400 points... at the same settings. I'm guessing that one of my 5900XT's memory chips or possibly the GPU has the flu :rolleyes:

huonglant said:
I used the thermal paste (the thick, grey one) but I don't like it, so I wipe it off because It doesn't do any good with either thick or thin or no thermal paste with my CPU.

Huh? Are you saying that it's running without thermal paste or thermal pad? Oh no! No wonder!

Sounds like you have three things working against you. High room temps (I heard about the California heat wave on the news), inadequate case ventilation (that is obvious if temps improve when you take the side cover off), and poor CPU/heatsink contact (you HAVE to use some sort of thermal transfer paste).

I recommend the you remove the heatsink, clean it off really good with alcohol, and carefully reapply the thermal paste to the top of the CPU. Then when reapplying the heatsink, make sure the four retention legs click fully into place, and flip the two levers on top to latch the heatsink into place.

Last edited:
Thanks Batboy, about 3 culprits, I have nothing to do until the heatwave is over, or run it under the room temperature, about the case, I love this case, not because of its look, but its ease to open/close the cover in just a snap so it's hard to get rid of it, and the last thing about the thermal paste, I will go to my vendor to get another brand of thermal paste, the one I use in the tube and it was so thick that I couldn't even spread it out using my finger tips.

About the Asus A7n266-VM, I'm sorry that I just throw in my opinion w/out any number, but I see all ATA133 drives run faster with that AMD board, say, Ghost image took only 3 min instead of 6 in P4 board even with Raid. It does say that it supports ATA/66/100/133 though. I like this AMD board because I've built at least 5 of them with AMD XP+2400 for my friends, soho users, internet, play some games, Medal of Honor, but the boards run just fine with games, got decent sound (can't compared to SB 5.1). Cheap solution, cost me only $300 each, not bad compared to some Emachines.

btw, I see that Cooler Master fan 4 in my vendor website for $25, not bad compared to Mwave or Newegg, so I'm sure will get that one too.

Last edited:
If you can find Arctic Silver thermal paste, it works the best. In a pinch, Radio Shack silicon thermal paste works ok. There are several things you can do to improve case ventilation short of buying a new case. First, make sure the fan in the front lower part of the case is blowing in and the one in the back is blowing out.

If you cut out the fan openings, that will greatly increase air flow. A fan has to fight to move air through those tiny little holes found on most cases. I have used tin snips before, but a cleaner way to cut out the holes is with a saber saw or dremel (this method requires you to remove the motherboard or else the metal shavings will damage things).

Generic case fans that usually come with a case are pretty wimpy. Get a higher CFM fan if you want more air flow. Bigger fans move more air. If you can mod the case to fit a 92mm fan instead of the standard 80mm, you will improve ventilation.

Since you technically have a third exhaust fan in the power supply, see if you can find a way to mount another intake fan. Lots of people cut a blow hole in the side cover. This is an excellent way to move fresh air towards the CPU or if positioned lower, right at the vid card.

Finally, cable and wire management can really help air flow. Use rounded IDE cables and organize power and IDE cables so they are neatly tucked out of the way. Nylon wire ties work great, but you can use about anything to tie back the cables out of the way.

batboy said:
If you can find Arctic Silver thermal paste, it works the best. In a pinch, Radio Shack silicon thermal paste works ok. There are several things you can do to improve case ventilation short of buying a new case. First, make sure the fan in the front lower part of the case is blowing in and the one in the back is blowing out.

If you cut out the fan openings, that will greatly increase air flow. A fan has to fight to move air through those tiny little holes found on most cases. I have used tin snips before, but a cleaner way to cut out the holes is with a saber saw or dremel (this method requires you to remove the motherboard or else the metal shavings will damage things).

Generic case fans that usually come with a case are pretty wimpy. Get a higher CFM fan if you want more air flow. Bigger fans move more air. If you can mod the case to fit a 92mm fan instead of the standard 80mm, you will improve ventilation.

Since you technically have a third exhaust fan in the power supply, see if you can find a way to mount another intake fan. Lots of people cut a blow hole in the side cover. This is an excellent way to move fresh air towards the CPU or if positioned lower, right at the vid card.

Finally, cable and wire management can really help air flow. Use rounded IDE cables and organize power and IDE cables so they are neatly tucked out of the way. Nylon wire ties work great, but you can use about anything to tie back the cables out of the way.
that's very nice explanation , batboy !

batboy said:

That's the way! :p

I tried a lot of things, but finally settled on 2 80mm and my 80mm PS fan, all blowing out. Then, I made a blow hole on the side of the case, right over the CPU and graphics card and put a honking big but quiet 120mm fan blowing in. My case temp and CPU temp stayed very close to the same while surfing and idling. I think the air exchanges about 10 or 15 times per minute with that setup, and the case top always feels cool to the touch.

Back