• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4 3.4 what speed can i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paul.1clarke

Registered
right im still a bit new to this so here goes
heres my system

p4 3.4 cpu
asus p4c800 deluxe-e
15,000 rpm scsi drive
512mb ocz pc 3700
alpha heatsink and fan
radeon 9800 pro
xaserIII case

right what speed can reach with this im not sure what to do with the memory timings and all that my 3d mark 01 score is 16,400 at standard speed i get 17,600 at 3.8 but i used to get 16,800 with my 3 gig cpu it went down when i put the 3.4 in also i get 44 oC under load is that about right im thinking of watercooling but not sure which gear to buy
thx in advance for any help

With GOOD air cooling, you can probably hit between 3.7 and 3.9ghz depending on luck and how much voltage you want to feed it and how hot you're comfortable letting it get. With GOOD watercooling, 3.9ghz is probably very likely and maybe even breaking into the 4ghz arena...

If you threw it under a phase change system, it seems most of these are doing between 4.2-4.4ghz and not a significant amount more.

I have a 3.4c running now, It'll do 4016 Water Cooled with chilled water, but needs 1.75 to stay there stable. So, I run it at 3960 daily at 1.675 volts, without a hitch.

I've tested 3 P4 3.4's.

The first only did 3650 mhz rock stable, and that was with good cooling (not stock hsf). 3700 mhz was the absolute upper limit before I'd start getting crashes in games /bluescreen. With retail HSF, the chip barely did 3.6 ghz.

The second does 3850 mhz, stable enough for gaming (1.7v bios--drops to 1.63 under load).

The third does 3900 stable enough for games (1.7v; again this is 1.63-1.65 under load).

In all 3 cases, I have to really watch the temps in my bedroom, which sometimes become furnace-like, due to my window facing east -_- and that plays havoc on the temps...

One thing odd is that the first 2 chips refused to post at all, at BIOS @ 1.75v and higher. (the first chip locks up after verifying dmi, the second chip reports "Cpu unworkable: at 1.775v or higher). The 3900 chip has posted and *loaded windows* even at 1.8v, but it simply gets too hot under load, for any sort of gaming.

The 3900 chip would easily do 4+ ghz on water, and more depending on how cool I could get it (since the chip has worked at rediculous voltages). Only thing holding me back is temps.

Pretty much sums up what the others have said.
Good chips will reach 3.8-3.9 ghz on air, depending on your cooling and voltages you put into it.
Star chips will do 3.8-3.9 ghz @ default voltage, and 4 ghz on air.
Weak chips will do 3.6-3.7 ghz.

Back