• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5q pro user thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobnova

I've noticed that the p5q pro bios is lacking in some things, and has others that other boards don't seem to. As such, seems like us p5q pro guys should help each other out if we can.
I know there's at least one other person in FW using one.

I used a P5Q-E board last forum warz if you need help its pretty much the same board so I can help you out if you have problems.
Btw, I think there are way too many threads now and we might just want to keep things down to our threads for individual teams.

We get our own thread, awesome! I've added a mosfet sink on the bank that didn't come with one. Hoping that will help. Can't hurt at least.

Flash to the modded KET bios if you havent already. That adds the Deluxe memory tables IIRC.

Next up on my list is figuring out how to slap p5q pro drivers onto my xp disk, finding a serial mouse to use to install the usb drivers is silly.

I have the ket2105 or something like that, newest one he's modded that i know of.
I suspect it's behind my being able to run 340fsb 1137ram at PL5. Don't know for sure.

He puts the Pro Deluxe PWM controller firmware on too, it's better tuned then the p5q pro's.

EDIT:
Successfully confused the hell out of myself. Serial mouse it is.

Last edited:
I need to flash my BIOS. I'm still using the one that came with the board a year ago. Other than the ram divider thingy, does it help anywhere else?

So that little "OV_CPU" jumper does just that, took my 1.225vcore bios (1.2 cpuz) and turned it into 1.6 CPUz.
Don't set it without turning the bios volts down!

(My poor e5200 seems to have survived. Only ran 44*c at 3.2ghz)

What are the max safe volts to run to the NB and SB? I've never gone over 1.28. I have a feeling I could swap out some CPU voltage for some on the NB and make me run a little cooler. I haven't yet because the BIOS show 1.28 as yellow.

p45 should do 500fsb at 1.28 from what i've read.
Max safe i don't really know, i've run as much as 1.35ish briefly, got kinda hot though.
I figure if i stay out of the red in bios i should be ok, prolly not the greatest plan though.

Anyone done testing on this board with the ATX_12V power? I only have a 4 pin molex for this and not a full 8. Anyone noticed a difference moving from the 4 to an 8 setup?

I tried it, i suspect it was behind my p4 not ocing any further then 4ghz (3ghz cpu) despite going from 1.35vcore to 1.5vcore. No hard facts though.

I found that the OV_CPU jumper seems to make high vcores (>1.4ish) much more stable, i got 50-75mhz more OC at each voltage then with the normal setting.

Make sure you check bios right away after you move the jumper, it changes the minimum to 1.225 and if you don't check the bios the PWM stays at the same rate, resulting in a ton of volts. Once you re-set it in bios it's nice and accurate as usual with the p5q pro.

Wish i had my 530j back, this might be the secret that would have unlocked higher clocks.

It let me wind my e5200 up to 4.33ghz! Still 150mhz out of the .2+ point section of hwbot, but it did get me some good FW scores. I think they're good at least, though my 3d scores need help. Crossfire wasn't working for beans (worked for one (1) 03 run, no more. Not sure whether it worked for 05 or not.

Since you guys are running duals, 1.28v is the way to go on NB for up to 530 or so FSB. Once you get past that you'll need around 1.31v give or take.

Thanks for the tip. I gave it that for the mid 300's just for good measure. Guess i should back that off a bit.

1.28 for mid 300s is fine, thats what I used for 24/7 clocks as well. As long as your NB temps are fine theres nothing to worry about.

What clock generator do we use in SetFSB? I don't see one for the regular P5Q Pro. I've tried some of the other P5Q line ones and when I hit 'Set FSB' CPUZ shows no change in speed.

Crap, i know this but it's on my home box.
If you can't find it by the time i get home i'll let you know.

I want to say it's ICS9LPRS916JGLF, but that's just a guess.

I've hit a wall at about 490ish FSB. I can't get anything to run once I get here. I've dropped down to a 6 multiplier and still nothing. I see you are talking about the fsb strap. I have never touched this and its still on auto. Would setting this to something break the wall I'm hitting?

Back