• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5wd2 premium and thermalright xp-90c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blimpie

Registered
Hello, its been a while since I've posted, but I'm back to the overclocking scene. Here's the deal, I am looking for a heck of an overclocking board, and a nice heatsink to go with it. I was looking at the XP-90c, and was wondering if there were any problems with clearance issues with the board (Asus p5wd2 premium). If not, i will go with this setup.

Now, I have 3 (yes three) intel 820 2.8ghz cpus, and a 550j 3.4ghz intel, all to test on this board. Whichever gets the highest overclock will be my main rig, and the others demoted to servers. I currently have all three 820's running in linux, and full load in my HOT apartment with stock coolers is up around 70c. Even my 550j runs around 70c. I am hoping that the XP-90c will reduce temps to something reasonable. I would rather have an AMD system, but i just couldn't resist getting this stuff for the prices.

I already have a bunch of DDR2 667 512MB sticks of Corsair Valueselect to run in the machine, and i will need at least 4 more sticks. Again, I will be testing all of them to see which gets the highest of overclocks.

Most of the overclocking stuff these days i am a little behind in, as my last overclock setup was a 3000+ barton, with a volt modded asus a7n8x-e deluxe. But, since I now have all this hardware, I am definitely looking to overclock.

Any input on the heatsink and board would be appreciated....
Thanks in advance -
Blimpie

Great board, best overclocking asus right now by far. You'll have no trouble with clearance with the xp-90, i'm running an xp-120 with no trouble at all.

you should have no problems. used to have the same hs. and it cleared the board fine.

I can confirm the XP-90C will fit fine on this board with the LGA775 adapter. I installed mine briefly just to measure the benefit of watercooling.

I ran my p5ad2-e premium with a 560J at 4000mhz with an xp-90c and an xp-120. I found that the xp-90c did a slightly better job cooling these super hot chips.

Something to consider - I dropped temps by about 7c by lapping my chip with 1000 and then 2000 grit sandpaper. Unfortunetly the surface of the IHS on my 560J was simply horrible.

Back