• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Painting ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electrometro

I have this ram and I was thinking about taking off the heat spreaders and painting them. Has anyone here done this before or have links to any good tutorials on how to do remove and reapply the heat spreaders properly?

If the sink is stuck on with adhesive you won't get the sink off the ram chips without ripping one or more of the ram chips from the pcb. Underneath each chip is a very delicate array of fine wires.

I'd advise strongly against it... The odds of writing off the ram are very high to almost guaranteed :)

If the sink is stuck on with adhesive you won't get the sink off the ram chips without ripping one or more of the ram chips from the pcb. Underneath each chip is a very delicate array of fine wires.

I'd advise strongly against it... The odds of writing off the ram are very high to almost guaranteed :)

How do most people do this for water cooling then?

Can't I just spray a bit of 3m adhesive remover up under there and then peal it off? Then clean with alcohol?

If it's a thermal pad you can get the sink off without destruction.
If its adhesive tape you'll wreck it in the process.

Also paint will effect the dissipation of heat most likely.

If someones painted that particular model and make its probably thermal pad (unglued)

There is a guide for g skill
http://www.overclock.net/t/1261887/tutorial-how-to-remove-g-skill-ripjaws-heatspreader

:salute: may the modding gods be with you... Good luck if you do :D

Back