• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PBO vs Manual. Playing around with PBO could use a little help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignazpwns

So seems like my manual oc is benching higher then when i run PBO.

System specs.

2700x
32 gigs 4 dims of Corsair RGB pro @ 3364 16-17-17-35
Gigabyte Gaming 7 wifi
Custom loop

PBO is topping me out just over 4.3. BCLK is 101 CPU llc turbo SOC llc medium soc set to 1.050v CPU voltage set to auto. Should i use a voltage offset? What am i missing here? Even when i manual oc to what the PBO is hitting under load benchmarks are still higher with the manual oc by a fair amount.

Last edited:
Using offset should allow the system to down volt/clock at idle. PBO is just an extension of the boost function so it won't necessarily push all cores consistently to the max where a static OC has no choice but to run full speed as long as it's no throttling.

Using offset should allow the system to down volt/clock at idle. PBO is just an extension of the boost function so it won't necessarily push all cores consistently to the max where a static OC has no choice but to run full speed as long as it's no throttling.

Ok just trying to see if with PBO I can get a little more. As far as I can tell it's not really pushing even 4 or 1 core all that hard for some reason. Everything looks good and definitely an improvement over stock just seems kinda meh when compared to a static oc. Might mess with it some more amd check out some real world numbers on it in some games. Temps in not seeing a whole lot lower mid 60's what is typical what I get oc'ed.

BPO will only take your max up to 43.5xBCLK. So are you hitting 4393mhz single core? If you want a higher single core clock you'll need to increase BCLK. The other PBO stuff will effect the clocks of other cores by increasing the amount of power the CPU can draw. Negative offset should let the boosted core(s) draw more with the algorithm I believe.

If your benchmark is using 16 threads manual OC will do better, if your bench is using 1-4, or maybe 1-6 threads, then PBO should perform better, unless you can get your all core clock to match your boost clock (in this case, 4.4ghz which is pretty good!). Which is better for your real world application depends on how many threads your typical use employs.

Back