• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC fails to boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TombKeeper

I was wondering if anyone knows of potential reasons why my computer refuses to boot all of a sudden. All I get is all fans at max speed - no beeps, nothing on screen. Unplugged the video card > same result. Once it actually booted into windows but all fan speeds were real low...once Media Center 7 started to load - all fans went to max speed and black screen... Sometimes all i get is a 1 sec of power on fans and then everything stops...

Is this a power supply or motherboard problem...? Or could it be something else? I checked all connections and everything looks ok. Thing is is it's been working fine for about 1 week or more...then while watching a movie i get a black screen and fans start spinning at max.

I'm hoping someone can help me out since this is an Htpc and taking everything out would be a pita.. :(

Components:

Corsair HX620
Asus P5Q Dlx
Intel Q9550
WD 640Gb Black
WD 2TB Green x3
Xfx 5770 video
LG Bluray
Pioneer DVD-RW
Auzentech Prelude sound
4 case fans + 1 12cm cpu fan

I know this sounds odd but it almost sounds like a bad CPU to me. I know it almost never happens but I had a similar incident happen at work. The machine would start to load windows the fans would kick to maximum then black screen for 30 seconds and shut off. I troubleshot everything until I swapped CPU's. That fixed the problem. If you have a spare CPU laying around I would give that a try.

I don't have any of those 2... guess i have to take it in somewhere.... Don't have another cpu or even ps to test...

It can't be something else? Or is it one of those 'it could be anything' conditions....?

Could this be used to test the PSU:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjA3OA==

Or should i just take it in to a shop for them to do it...don't have any tools to check the psu and don't know how to use a multimeter/voltmeter (or whatever they're called).

I think it's the MB or ps... there's an lcd screen on the case and it used to display the time when off - now it shows nothing. There's power to the screen though, but it does not display anything. If it was the cpu, this would probably still display the time, right?

I've also reset cmos and removed/replaced the cmos battery. Disconnected most HDs, DVD drives and video card....

Swapping out the 5770 with a 3870 boots.... So i guess it's the video card...

could try to put the 5770 back in and take the power plugs off non-essential parts (dvd drive, 2nd or more hard drives, extra fans etc) and try it again.. it doesnt seem like your psu should be holding you back, but its at least worth a look

could try to put the 5770 back in and take the power plugs off non-essential parts (dvd drive, 2nd or more hard drives, extra fans etc) and try it again.. it doesnt seem like your psu should be holding you back, but its at least worth a look

Already done that...only thing getting power was OS HD, cpu, video card and sound card....all other HDs, DVD drives, fans were unplugged. Problem was still there. Cpu is also NOT overclocked.

have juo trijdt windows 7 ultimate

if this dos not wurk juo hef scot juor video chip on juor moderbord this suondts too familjer

hoope juo kan juze this info

Back