• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium 4 Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blacklist

One of my friends gave me his '04 Dell tower with a Pentium 4 in it. I was hoping to use it to experiment with various programs and hopefully overclocking. I was hoping someone could tell me what socket the CPU fits and a super cheap mobo that could handle overclocking(on a budget of about $50). It will be a small clock, because I dont feel the need to buy a $100 cooler for a $20 chip. Also, will the stock 120W PS suffice? I will only be running the CPU and HDD off it. Thanks

One of my friends gave me his '04 Dell tower with a Pentium 4 in it. I was hoping to use it to experiment with various programs and hopefully overclocking. I was hoping someone could tell me what socket the CPU fits and a super cheap mobo that could handle overclocking(on a budget of about $50). It will be a small clock, because I dont feel the need to buy a $100 cooler for a $20 chip. Also, will the stock 120W PS suffice? I will only be running the CPU and HDD off it. Thanks
You can find out the Cpu socket and specs by either going to dell and entering the code they place on the case or download cpu-z.

Just use the board it's on? :p It's on the 432 Socket so i don't think you're going to have fun finding a board unless you're good with used. Check the classifieds if you really want a new board. I should also add make sure you have an ISP email, i got caught without one (didn't even know you needed one...) and i didn't get in a lot of trouble other then being banned from the classifieds.

What's ISP? I have no problem using the stock board but I was under the impression that it needed to be able to support the extra power going to the CPU. If I could get away with stock, all the better.

Who's your Internet Service provider? Find the number, call them and ask for an Email address with them. change your email you use for your overclockers account to the one your ISP has given you and you can ask a mod to open up the classifieds for you.

Just use the board it's on? :p It's on the 432 Socket

It's on 478 socket if its from 2004.

Dell motherboards from 2004 didn't like any kind of overclocking whatsoever. I don't know how they are now... not that it's relevant.

OP you're going to have a very hard time finding a socket 478 motherboard these days. If you do find one it'll be a Rock Bottom Ronny model that won't be very suited to overclocking.

Also, since overclocking a P4 has pretty much nothing to do with overclocking a current gen intel CPU you aren't going to take an awful lot of useful knowledge away from the experience. Definitely not worth spending any money on it IMO.

Who's your Internet Service provider? Find the number, call them and ask for an Email address with them. change your email you use for your overclockers account to the one your ISP has given you and you can ask a mod to open up the classifieds for you.

So if I have comcast I need a comcast.net email?

Ok. I though it meant someone who provided a service through the internet, not who supplied the internet itself. So you guys think it's a no-go on the OC for this old thing then?

P4 = heater (most of them). You wont be overclocking much with them with a meager cooler.

That said, mandrake has you taken care of properly. :)

P4C-800-E Deluxe, not for sale .

Anyway, if it's a P4 Northwood = not as hot, P4 A or B = not overclock friendly. P4 Prescott = winter heater, still not overclock friendly. The 2.4Ghz Northwood was a really good overclocker, but sadly you would need the motherboard to do it. Hard to find.

Cpu-z will tell you what you have. Goodluck.

Back