• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pesky Intel Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Alright so this lovely intel cooler I've been using for a while think is on its last legs for unmount/remounting it.

Sadly it does the job nicely just one of the clips is no engaging properly anymore :/

Originally had a E1400 core duo in there (i didn't use the heatsink that came with it), was perfectly fine just upgraded to a E5200 using the same cooler I had on the E1400 (its off a E8400). So the temps are wonderful old was right around 60ish in LinX and the new sadly has the temp difference (52C/44C) its its getting the chip cool, just the one being that high stinks.

So right now debating if I should get a cooler for the setup. If I do, I don't want to spend much but don't want something that is junk either (its just me with that).

Currently the cooler does work, and probably will work just fine. Though will it harm the life of the CPU with such a temp variance in it? Can be from 6-12C that I've noticed so far though typically sits around 8C for the difference. Mine you this is a server PC and really the load on it isn't that great, just wanted a little better cpu (which I should of gotten in the first place) for when I do connect to it.

Guess wondering what would you guys do if it happened to you?

Ohhh, okay. Hmm, not sure, but you don't need a huge one. Sadly, I have no clue now.

EDIT:

I dunno, I like Thermalright.

thermalright mst-140

Last edited:
Or if you are looking for something a bit closer to the XP-90 style of cooler, there is also the AXP-140.

Edit: On closer inspection, they both look to be the same cooler. I would say go for the better priced of the two.

If the stock cooler works fine, get four 1.5" 6-32 machine screws and eight 6-32 nuts to match. You can torque it down as much as you want and it will never come undone.

If the stock cooler works fine, get four 1.5" 6-32 machine screws and eight 6-32 nuts to match. You can torque it down as much as you want and it will never come undone.

Oooh good idea on that one! Think I might have to go with this, I mean its hard to beat the stock cooler when it works.

Also with aftermarket coolers realized another issue... the board isn't as forgiving either. The DFI X38 Lanparty board I have has a huge NB heatsink, it sits taller than the stock cooler.

In years to come sure I'll replace the board with something else but think going to try that bolt idea. Didn't even think of that one.

There's always the Prolimatech Samuel 17. So, if you can't get the stock cooler rigged up, then that cooler is worth looking at. I put one of them in my brother's LGA1156 system with an i5 750, and it works well.

I used a CM GeminII with my q9550 in a TT Lanbox. Had a DFI Lanparty JR. P45-T2RS, and I don't know how the chipset heatsink compares with the X38, but the P45 heatsink wasn't exactly tiny and the GeminII cleared in easily.

Back