• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ping troubles and woes!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Footba_SWAT5420

howdy, i got an odd problem with my cable connection so i turned to the only place i know i will get a correct answer. I have a cable connection and play alot of online games, especialy SOF2. i have always had a good connection with hardly and lag, but in the past 2 weeks it has gotten horrible. my ping is normal if im jsut walking around but as soon as i or anyone else starts to shoot or throws a grenade, my ping shoots up by aobut 100!!! even in servers i usualy get about 30 in it will go up to 150+! i tired reinstalling the game, rolling back windows, checking for virus (i did find one but i think i got rid of it), and i tired reseting the modem and all. i run htrough a router, but even w/o the router i still have problems. does anyone know what the problem may be? do u think a new network card may do the trick? Thanks for hte help.

run a traceroute to a server you commonly play on (goto dos, type tracert addresshere) and post the results (removing the first 2 hops to 'protect' your address).

Check your rate and cl_maxpackets to make sure they are set correctly. Also when you do lag, look at the bottom right at the logometer, what color does the bottom graph change to?

solid yellow. like i said its regular happy grey if no action is gonig on. also the blue line above it will start to spike when it has more than 10 players in the room, which i always thought was the servers fought, but my friend in the same room dosent get it so i guess its me :(

do you by any chance know what the packets should be set to? also what exactly is the rate?

rate is how fast you can transfer information, i usually have this set to 10000, cl_maxpackets i set to 100, usually 5000 and 30 is the min.

ok i got it fixed thank you soo much smokeys! the things were changed and i suppose thats what did it. thanks alot.

Back