• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help a NOOB decide on components for devirginizing build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Some_Guy

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I am totally new to this and that some of my questions may or may not seem over the top bonehead. I'm more than certain that I can assemble the system, however deciding what to assemble is quite a different story.

The purpose of this build will be mainly gaming with the intention of running games like SC2, Diablo 3, and SWTOR if I break down and buy it (I heard it kinda blows any feedback?) SC2 will be run most often and I'm hoping that this will be sufficient to run HOTS upon its release as well as LOTV whenever that happens. I do not intend to overclock mainly because I'm noob and it sounds too involved for me, perhaps in the future when I have a clue.

Im looking at a budget of about $1000-$1200 NOT including a monitor. Im totally willing to spend less if its bang for the buck,will accomplish my needs and will be decent into the future.

Did some searching around and this is what I came up with having little to no knowledge of what I'm doing. Again, please any and all feedback is appreciated

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth 990 FX AM3+

CPU: AMD FD6100WMGUSBX 6 core 3.3 GHZ AM3+ 95w

RAM: Patriot PGD316G1600ELK 16GB 2X8GB PC3 12800
Is there anything wrong with mixing RAM? can I run this and 4GB 2X2GB Corsair? Is this overkill?

Video: EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1 GB thinking of upping to 2GB, not much more$$, overkill? There seems to be a lot of different EVGA 560s and I cant tell the difference any input on that?

Sound: Creative labs 70SB104000000 sound blaster X-Fi extreme audio
Debated this or ASUS Xonar 5.1, but the ASUS seemed to have a lot of problematic reviews.

HD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black

Optical: ASUS DRW 22B2S/BLK/B/AS

Power Supply: NO EFFIN CLUE! How do I even determine the power I need? Was thinking 700-750?

Case Coolermaster RC-932

OS: Windows 7 does home, premium, or professional make a difference for me?

Wireless Networking: What do I need to make this happen?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback

Last edited:
Everything i see looks fine. PSU,, Well it depends on if you plain on upgrading later. If so. 700-750 would be just fine. If not you could go with like 600 watt and save some money. Just dont cheap out on a PSU. You get what you pay for.

I would tell you to wait until the end of the month ivybridge is going to come out and you will be able to pick that up which will be better then your current processor. if you wait until then i can give you a build that should last you a while.

Back