• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help with Case layout (In response to Aeon's Stack effect)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nkcd

I just read his thread and found it to be very true. I am willing to try it out with my current case.

Please tell me if it's a good setup.

2x80mm lower front intake (they're side by side so you can't see it in pic), blowing by the HDD to cool them down,

one 80mm bottom intake that's blowing air upward.

one 80mm lower rear intake.

one 80mm Side pannel Intake

2x80mm rear intake (currently set as exhaust because I don't have the 120mm top exhaust yet.)

one 120mm top exhaust. That top blow hole is currently about 130mmx140mm in dimension.

Also, there is a 80mm exhaust fan of the PS right above the CPU.

my 80mm fans are ~24-25cfm, so that's about ~168-175CMF intake, not including the air flow restriction.

What kind of 120mm fan that I can buy, since my ambient temp is pretty low, I'd want a strong 120mm fan about or higher CFM than my total intake? And where can I get it? I've researched into Nidec and heard that they made pretty good fans.

That setup would eliminate allmost all the heatspot on my case BESIDE the DVD drives area which I was thinking of getting that 5.25" "100CFM" blower from FrozenCPU, but I don't know if it worths it or not?

Thanks everyone and especially to Aeon's thread about stack effect.

attachment.php

Attachments

• case layout.jpg
    case layout.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 261
What id do is leave the then as they are , and add the 120mm exhaust on the top. id leave the back two as exhaust since there right below the Power supply and they can blow out alot of hot air. no point having intakr fans suck hot air right back in. that will give you 5 intakes and 4 exhaust including the power supply.

I've personally had better results with the back two fans as exhaust instead of intake. Changing the flow of air kills your air flow

i just thought of leaving as it is too. So what kind of 120mm do I need?

And how about that 5.25" bay 100 CFM blower?

You want a LED 120mm or normal 120mm. there are tons out there. but pertty much any 120mm will work. here's a Link put 120mm as size and hit search
and for the blower , wait on that and see whats your temps are like with the 120

thanks, I just want a strong 120mm fan, doesn't matter whether it has LEDs or not, but i can't seem to find any strong 120mm ones that would blow 110CFM and up on newegg. I guess i have to find it whereelse like sidewinder, but their prices are expensive :(

thanks a lot, got myself 2 of those, just in case I'd find the use for the extra one :eek:h:

i think you misunderstood what aeon was trying to explain in his post. from what i understand, he was saying that by removing the hot air at the top of the case with cool air intake at the bottom, you can make a quieter system with less fans. by using so much airflow, you have pretty much eliminated the stack effect because all the air in your case will be replaced with fresh air very quickly. this is great for cooling, but unrelated to the stack effect.

l3ored said:
i think you misunderstood what aeon was trying to explain in his post. from what i understand, he was saying that by removing the hot air at the top of the case with cool air intake at the bottom, you can make a quieter system with less fans. by using so much airflow, you have pretty much eliminated the stack effect because all the air in your case will be replaced with fresh air very quickly. this is great for cooling, but unrelated to the stack effect.

Not really, the stack effect is still there, it just that I aim to create a stronger and broader flow so that it'd eliminate heatspots. Aeon mentioned in one of his reply that if he combines the stack effect with heatspots removal by create a stronger flow, he would achieve a much better temperature (same as ambient) without problem.

looks like a pretty good setup. u better have a high powered 120mm though, or else ur case will be exploding with air. i dont see any point to having one on the bottom though, it's just gonna be blocked by whatever ur case is sitting on, so no air is gonna come through anyway.

djs488 said:
looks like a pretty good setup. u better have a high powered 120mm though, or else ur case will be exploding with air. i dont see any point to having one on the bottom though, it's just gonna be blocked by whatever ur case is sitting on, so no air is gonna come through anyway.

There's a gap on the bottom, my case has the duck feet or whatever they are :D

Back