• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible to setup a raid on my NF7-S, temporaily?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

I want to go ahead and setup a raid 0 on my Nf7-s with 2 WD raptors I bought off here, but my board only has 2 SATA ports and they used up by my 80 and 200gb drives.
So I was wondering if it would be possible for me to setup the raid with the raptors, install windows, Tweak or whatever I want to do, and then remove the drives and resetup my 80 and 200gb drives on the same ports without messing up the raid on the 2 raptors till this friday when I can go pickup a PCI SATA card for the 80 and 200gb drives.

Its killing me haveing these 2 raptors and not being able to use them! :drool:
Damn NF7-s! :bang head: And I hope you guys can understand all that... :confused:

You cannot move a RAID setup from one controller to another. It won't be recognised. You could only put the RAIDED Raptors back on the controller you created the RAID with them on. If say you wanted to try the RAID with the Raptors on the NF7 controller, put the 80 and 200GB drives back on it, and then go back again to the RAID setup with the Raptors, that would work.

That is what I wanted to do, keep the raptors on the NF7s onboard controller, the other one Im getting isnt even raid. Thanks!

yes that should work. Make sure you plug them in the same ports they where original in tho

Yeah, it works great. I just needed make sure, if I needed to get some important info off one of the other drives, I could without screwing the Raid up...:D Thanks guys.

And damn, these raptors are fast! Installed WInxp in like 15mins, running the hell outa my DVD rom....Ill have to see what my HDtach score is... :beer:

Oh yeah, heres my HDTach score....

hdtachtp5.jpg

Hmmmm.....not bad, not the greatest. Wish I had old pics of my original Raptor RAID setup. Here's what a single new 16MB cache model does:

36raptor hdtbios.JPG

This is my NF7-S, the onboard Silicon 3112 chipset... You have a much better board :D. :p
I went and got another PCI Controller card..Turns out it was the EXACT same thing..a 3112. :rolleyes: Didnt even have to install drivers lol.

But its nice, no conflicts and it supports raid as well. It does have an older 3112 bios I think.

I ended up with this, my 200gb Seagate vs my raptors. Im a happy camper.
20036gbraply6.jpg

Did the early raptors only come with 8mb cache?
:edit:
Ah I C, WD360GD's had 8mb buffers while the WD360ADFD's had 16mb...

Oh well still fast as hell lol!

Back