• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential Bottleneck or my gfx card needs OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henryguy

I have a q6600 that I just oc'd to 3ghz easily (rev.b3:59c load:1.2675v) and I think I could get 3.2 before the wall.

Problem is this: scored a vg236h off eBay for $190 and it is only capable of 120hz at 1080p. I have quite a hard time pushing a consistent minimum of 100FPS in 5v5 and my min for 10v10 is 70-80 depending on the environment(smoke? Smoke n mol? Smoke mol and nades and machine gunners?)

I'd like to get as close to 120fps as my minimum so is my CPU bottlenecking my fps here or my gfx card?

Everything is up to date on my pc, bios, drivers, catalyst (different version vary none). My amd settings in catalyst are set to performance, all of them.

All my ingame settings are at low with AF on bilinear tho trilinear seems to give me a slightly higher avg with it dipping into 90s less often.

Ok so here's the detailed info:
CPU: q6600 3.0ghz (9x333) - (Artic freezer cooler)
MOBO: gigabyte ep45-ud3l
RAM: Kingston cas5 2x2gb ddr2 800mhz (no oc, runs 5:6 with FSB)
VGA: xfx hd5850 1gb (oc at 725mhz core/1025mem tho I'm no pro at VGA oc)
(Also a Accelero cooler is coming in for this card today) currently card tops out at 80c
PSU: Corsair 650w (can't remember which but it's the top tier model)
HDD: 64GB Kingston SSDnow (houses OS and CSGO only):500GB 7200rpm w/e brand
LAN: Realtek 8111c
SOUND: creative titanium x-fi 5.1
CASE: LANcool k58w modded with all cougar dynamic bearing fans set to max speed, 2x140mm top exhaust, 1x 120mm rear exhaust, 1x 140mm front intake, 1x 120mm front intake strapped into empty drive bays)

Not really sure what else to do with this system. Saving up cash for black friday, going to upgrade to a ddr3 z77 platform with a sata3 SSD, i5-3570k, and 2x8gb ddr3 (highest MHz I can get from a solid brand).

And so for now I want to game in a way that I can take advantage of this screen. When I solo bots the game is remarkably smooth and head shots are natural. When gaming with 30 or less ping (NEVER higher) I feel lots of stutter on this screen. Not lots but enough to make me wonder if where I'm shooting is what I'm shooting at or not.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
5850 GPU is way old. Send the cooler back. I can see why your having framerate issues on any modern game with a 5850. You need 2 GB ram on a card these days at 1080p. Read about it in the GPU forum. Good info recently posted.

Save your money. Get a newer PC, save the good parts. Build a system on a better basic framework.

Meaning new CPU/GPU/Mobo/ram.

5850 GPU is way old. Send the cooler back. I can see why your having framerate issues on any modern game with a 5850. You need 2 GB ram on a card these days at 1080p. Read about it in the GPU forum. Good info recently posted.

Save your money. Get a newer PC, save the good parts. Build a system on a better basic framework.

Meaning new CPU/GPU/Mobo/ram.

+1 for upgrading the card instead of just the cooler. I just upgraded to a 670 with 2GB RAM and it seems to run smoother. Tossed the 5850 in a cheap AMD computer because it's probably got a few more months in it, but it's starting to struggle in some games and I'll probably jump on a new card as soon as I see a decent deal.

Like Darknecron said, what it really depends on though is what you're playing, as some games may be more CPU dependent.

Cant afford a new card and the cooler was $20.

I have oc'd it to 850mhz/1150mhz and I got an extra 15fps min.

Is it worth it to oc the CPU to 3.2ghz? Source engine games are usually pretty CPU intensive.

I mostly just want to know what is likely to bottleneck first, CPU or gpu with t setup. I know a lot about parts but not sure which would slow the other down or need to be oc'd first.

I could probably reach 3.4ghz if I tried rly hard. Barely pushing 55c under hours and hours of load now.

Would it be prudent to try for 3.4? I have b3 revision at 3.0ghz, 9x333, 53 avg load. Not lookin to buy anything until I get a whole new setup on black Friday. Can get a 3570k for under $200 ez around then. With mobo ram and gfx card, prolly $600.

CSGO - Counter Strike Global Offensive.

Guess I shoulda made more then one reference to it :p

Runs on the source engine. Even with the new oc on my VGA, the fps max went up way more then the minimum (by about 15 compared to 3-5 minimum). So I suppose I could raise some gfx filters once I push 120min.

I'm guessing it's the 3ghz '07 CPU that's holding me back because this card can run everything on max, usually above 60fps (cept bf3).

CSGO - Counter Strike Global Offensive.

Guess I shoulda made more then one reference to it :p

Runs on the source engine. Even with the new oc on my VGA, the fps max went up way more then the minimum (by about 15 compared to 3-5 minimum). So I suppose I could raise some gfx filters once I push 120min.

I'm guessing it's the 3ghz '07 CPU that's holding me back because this card can run everything on max, usually above 60fps (cept bf3).

Never played it, so I wouldn't catch any references. :p

Back