• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver.C.

Registered
Ive been getting alot of help from everyone here about this new system I am about to build, and thanks for all you have done so far.

I am getting a fileserver case with a 300W PS but I have this suspission that it will not be enough to run everything in my comp (First time building a PC) this is what my comp will have in it.
4 case fans, Blue Orb for GPU, 1.4GHz AMD, three 20.4 segate HD's, ZIP 250, DVD, CD-RW,NIC, 256mb of PC1600 DDR, and a Neon Light.

is there anyway I can figue out how much power I am going to need or would it just be safter to buy a 400W-460W PS to put in the case?
thanks

i dunno bout all that stuff youre adding but a 230W works for my comp 2chassisfans 2cpufans 128 ram pIII 600@852 asus p3v4x ATI RAge fury pro, soundblaster live 300 should be enough but then again i havent worked with AMD

Silver.C. (Jul 13, 2001 03:52 p.m.):
Ive been getting alot of help from everyone here about this new system I am about to build, and thanks for all you have done so far.

I am getting a fileserver case with a 300W PS but I have this suspission that it will not be enough to run everything in my comp (First time building a PC) this is what my comp will have in it.
4 case fans, Blue Orb for GPU, 1.4GHz AMD, three 20.4 segate HD's, ZIP 250, DVD, CD-RW,NIC, 256mb of PC1600 DDR, and a Neon Light.

is there anyway I can figue out how much power I am going to need or would it just be safter to buy a 400W-460W PS to put in the case?
thanks

I have a generic 300w PSU and it chokes out at about 1.48Ghz due to power. I have 2 60GB HD, NIC, sound card, and DVD. Obviously much less than you have so it'd be a better bet to get the nicer power supply. BTW that's a crappy heatsink, Athlons run VERY hot so don't skim on cooling.

Yeah I think I would up the power supply. Yes, that 300's enough for what your putting in it. But I can already see the route that you are headed. The big hint is the neon light. Your going to mod the crap outta that thing, and before long that 300 aint gonna cut it.

Get something bigger (see Plumbers Rule #1). Do it right the first time, that way you don't do it twice.

Kingslayer (Jul 13, 2001 07:47 p.m.):
Yeah I think I would up the power supply. Yes, that 300's enough for what your putting in it. But I can already see the route that you are headed. The big hint is the neon light. Your going to mod the crap outta that thing, and before long that 300 aint gonna cut it.

Hmm, well actually I didnt know you could suck any more power from it.... It is for a High School Senior Project you see, so I wanted to get some Oooo's and Awww's from the judges...

get a 550W enermax if you can afford and know that you will have much more power than you need. But you will want a 400W for sure.

Back