• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

powerpc seti worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

col_sanders

Think its worth it to run seti on a quicksilver dual powerpcG4 oc'd @ 1.20mhz ?
other specs
133 fsb
2GB pc 133 ram
Basically got it on ebay cheep for computational work like this.

EDIT: With atropulse one cpu will finish a wu in 18 hours the other wu is going to take 68 hours

Last edited:
It might give you 100-200 in the RAC department. Probably not what you're looking for, if you're used to GPU crunching numbers. You should be able to kick out some nice RAC on the rig in your signature... 20K or so. So in the company of a PC with that capability... it may seem a bit worthless.

Darn, i figured as much. Its pretty much dwarfed by the wu pushed out by my other machine that finishes 4 at a time in 3 hours. I'll end up just letting it run anyhow seeing as its on anyway.

Thanks for the reply!

You can download AK V8 optimizers for PowerPC here for a reasonable boost in RAC. :thup:

the links on that specific post seem to all be dead :/

EDIT: Found them
they seem to be linked from arkayn.us/seti now
thankyou

Edit2:
running it on my main system with 2 gtx 260s and its working fantastic should be crunching a lot of wu now

Last edited:
How would a 500MHz g3 with no upgradeable video do? I still got my Powerbook around. :D Probably too old and slow to consider.

How would a 500MHz g3 with no upgradeable video do? I still got my Powerbook around. :D Probably too old and slow to consider.

Yeah IMO G3s aren't worth it, at least with a G4 the project can take advantage of Altivec and you can use the above mentioned optimized clients for a RAC boost, even then its pretty slow, like an Atom. :)

edit: I've attached the G4 optimized client I used in the past to this post. :)

Attachments

• seti_enhanced-ppc-v8-g4-nographics.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Back