• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

prescott 3.2ghz E0 suddenly needs 1.55v - any ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I have a prescott 3.2ghz E0 that has been operating for years on 1.3v on a P4P800 mobo. All of a sudden the computer crashed and now will only boot when the CPU gets 1.55v. The temperatures remain very low CPU = 32c, case 27c, HD 32c. I'm wondering if the low temperature means the problem is the motherboard not supplying the right voltage anymore ie: I need a new mobo, or if its the CPU that is going wonky and soon to die? Speculations?

I have replace the memory with no effect. But it could be the PSU as well not supplying the correct voltage anymore?

If you have an extra PSU somewhere, try that first. If you still can't run lower voltage, either the mobo or the CPU is acting up.

Few possibilities that I could think of :

Primary suspect, degraded cpu vrm, could be those caps that near the cpu are reaching it's operating life, especially if the surrounding area is not well ventilated. Suggesting replace those mobo's caps if you capable of doing it. Inspect & check for buldging caps as well.

.. or ..

Degraded psu, test the psu at other mobo.

1.3 volt for prescott cpu should be no problem for long run.

Back