• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

presscott 2.8E D0 s478 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roid

Registered
I recently picked up a dell for cheap and it has one of these cpu's in it.
I was wondering if anyone has a 2.8E D0 and what kinda oc they got out of it.
Trying to decide if its woth the trouble to take it out of the dell and put it in my abit ic7 to replace my 2.4c at 3.2.

roid, on air my 2.8e is good for 3.5 with using stock Vcore ( I can go higher with a little more Vcore but chose not to because of the heat it produces.

You will also need a powersupply unit that has at least 22 amps on the 12v rail ( I got lucky with mine as it has been stable with only 20 amps)

You need to watch the heat with these chips , read the article in my signature a you will see why and what I did to get my temps down
Good Luck
Dave

Thanks for the reply.

I got a true control 550 antec and a modified full tower case with 6 120mm 150 cfm fans and 2 60mm and 2 80mm case fans (all usually run at 5 volts keeps case at ambient temp)

Only thing that may not be up to snuff are the cpu coolers I have.The dell one looks wimpy and the big coolermaster for prescotts I got cooling my northwood may not be up to an OC.

Just curious is your 2.8 a D0 stepping processor?

(HR)Titan said:
R U sure that is enough
:)

I dunno...have a look and you tell me :D

Attachments

• 120_case.jpg
    120_case.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 126_caser.jpg
    126_caser.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 52
Just curious is your 2.8 a D0 stepping processor?

I really did not know that there was another stepping out as I thought they all were "DO" steppings . After Checking the Intel Spec Finder I see that there not only is a DO stepping but also a EO .

I bought my 2.8E when they first came out so I have to assume that it is a DO

I am on the road but i will check and see what stepping I have when I get home on Friday

Dave

Well I had the day off work today and decided to take it out of the dell and do some testing before I assemble my pc.(my athlon xp is still in my case.)

I built a test rig out of spare parts I have around and the abit IC7.
IC7 (bios 26 {8-30-04})
Powersupply -fortron 400w (only 15a on the 12volt rail)
Vid card creative gforce 1 32 meg ddr
realtec nic
coolermaster DI4-8KD3B-01

assembly sitting on a bench.

P4 prescott 2.8e D0 SL7E3 Philippines 7427a332
1.25 vcore

Max post
267 fsb @ 3738 @ 1.25v
279 fsb @ 3906 @ 1.43v
( I know it won't run at those speeds but I was curious)

Temps @ 2.8 ghz 1.25v (measured by abit eq)
Idle
cpu 43 c
sys 22 c
pwm 33 c

load (2 instances of prime 95 for 100% cpu usage)
cpu 61 c
sys 24 c
pwm 51.5 c

May not need to turn on the heat this winter with this puppy .
:-/

I lapped the heatsing(took forever and 7 sheets of sandpaper this thing was really dished)
Added a more powerfull cpu fan (30 cfm antec ball bearing 80mm)
Idle
CPU 40 c
sys 21 c
pwm 31 c
load
CPU 58 c
sys 23 c
pwm 47.5 c

Max stable
250 fsb @ 3500 @ 1.3v
Temps
Idle
cpu 50 c
sys 23 c
pwm 43c

load
cpu 62 c
sys 24 c
pwm 56 c (you can burn your hand on the mobo if you touch it near the power transistor area)

Definitely going to add some additional cooling to the power transistors and hopefully with my antec true control I can get a better OC (this setup brought the fotron 400's 12v rail down to 11.5v)
Maybe add an xp 90 thermalright if I can get it higher.

Something stange..this processor will not run memtest x86.(tried in the dell...thought it was the dell,but when i put it in the IC7 it causes instant reboots on this board too)Memtest runs fine on my 2.4c northwood.I'm not sure why it will not run on this prescott.

Yeah, Prescotts suck a lot of power which heats up mobo components. Look at the cooling articles in my signature for some cooling ideas. Prescotts also require good PSU as you already mentioned. Looks like that 2.8E is a pretty good chip. With better cooling and a bigger PSU, You have a shot at being rock stable close to 3.8 gig.

Thanks for the links to the articles.
One question...those power mosfets get so hot do those TINY heatsinks even make much of a difference?

Back