• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime 95 underclock i5 3570k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok...will remove the cooler and put it back in again....equally...

as for redduc900, I like your settings and now I understand what happened...anyhow, let me test it after refitting everything back in.

A tip I learned from Conumdrum here on seating blocks. Apply a pea sized amount at the CPU center (i'd assume some pastes work better with this than others), put the block right on top to smoosh the paste, and slowly and anally turn each corner of the mount maybe a quarter of a turn at a time going around the mount until you know it is on tight. Only tightening a quarter of a turn at each corner at a time ensures you are tightening it evenly.

+1 matt

this is my paste application on my recent NAS/server buid.
*** noctua paste ***
NAS_005.JPG

Tighten screws slowly, one at the time to apply equal pressure all around the CPU when tightening. The mounting pressure will spread the paste. Even under my "big 2011 socket" CPU i only apply a small amount of paste, my 3820 can reach over 5ghz under air cooling ....

** note that you see a "big square" when you look at your 3570k but in fact, the die ( the real CPU ) is much smaller under the IHS you see and the die itself is in the center of the CPU, usually a rectangular shape. **

Don't know what to say really...

I changed the cooler with an older one I had "Zalman"...which I though also was broken for good...reason is I noticed that corsair one had a bent screw.

the zalman is far better..screw wise, cause they are larger and easier to install...

anyhow, the cooler started really nicely 27 at idle and so....until I overclocked and stressed...throttled down too...the fans are really cool though and their sound is quite loud "4 fans on that one",after stressing cpu idles at 45!

throttle is down to 3...2.9 GHZ ..after stress test ends it sticks at 60 degrees for a while for no reason, then drops to 48

as for the thermal paste, yes I applied it the same way you guys described, I even stopped adding when I replaced, I can see the cpu front "barely" through it....
as for tightening , I go diagonally,and I stop when I see that all screws are far deep inside their brackets and at the same level...

no not over 90 ..... 84
and throttled....even with throttling temps maintained 84

recovery is not that good either, stabled at 60 for sometime for no apparent reason....then dropped to 48

I need to point the source of the issue "cpu or motherboard" , when I oc, I check event viewer after stressing and I find an WHEA log note, saying cpu internal parity error "code 19" ....without ocing no notes are found...cpu runs games smoothly...no errors. however, it stuck at high temperatures , don't know if it is possible for a faulty cpu to do that?? or could it be mobo issue??

as for history of the cpu, it had one overheating incident when the old pump failed, it reached max temp and shutdown....vcore I set always to auto "maybe that is the issue", I got a note before "little high vcore for this cpu" in this forum, but that was when I got to 4.5GHZ stable which I didn't keep "decreased that to 4.2"...Did I ruin my cpu? how can I check that the cpu or mobo is faulty, or if it just my settings,maybe even faulty pumps?

Last edited:
no not over 90 ..... 84
and throttled....even with throttling temps maintained 84

Well, that shouldn't happen in the first place. Your cpu should start throttling when reaching Distance to Tj max. That's not 84°C on mine, and not on yours either.

Maybe it got damaged when it overheated and shut down, or indeed the cpu socket got damaged by heat. Either way, you need the cpu to be checked out, or tested in another motherboard so you can exclude one or the other.

Will.... the general temp for the cpu is at 84 , but cores such as core 1 ,2 , 3...are at 101~105 don't know which core triggers the throttling

That would be the value over 105c... What does realtemp show as the temp? If that agrees, you still have a temp throttling issue.

Intel thermal throttling and thermal shut down are based on the peak core temperature. The temperature that AI Suite reports does not come from the core temperature sensors. When running Prime95, your peak core temperatures can be 20C higher than what AI Suite is reporting. Temperature information from AI Suite is obviously useless.

asusrealtemp.png

With AI Suite reporting 87C, it is very likely that your peak core temperatures are hitting the 105C thermal throttling temperature. Yes, your CPU is getting that hot. That's probably why it is slowing down when fully loaded.

During one of your torture tests look in the RealTemp Thermal Status area. When it says OK, that means your CPU did not reach the thermal throttling temperature. If it says LOG, that means your CPU logged a thermal throttling episode. When it shows HOT, that means thermal throttling is in full progress, trying to save your CPU from a melt down.

Here's an example of what a HOT CPU looks like after 3 hours of running Prime95 with the CPU fan turned off.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/276/hote8400fw5.png

The CPU was still running fine but you do not get its full performance when it is throttling.

RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition

The default multiplier for a 3770K is 35. For the CPU to go beyond this multiplier, Turbo Boost has to be enabled within the CPU. Some motherboards might make you believe that you can go higher than 35 with Turbo Boost disabled but what the bios does in the background after you push Save is it turns Turbo Boost back on. There is no other way so I suggest that you just enable Turbo Boost in the bios.

Enable a system tray temperature icon in RealTemp and then right click on it and open up the Power Limits... menu option. It will show you if your Turbo Power Limits are set appropriately for full Turbo Boost. Depending on your bios settings, AUTO might mean that this is only at 77 Watts which can prevent full Turbo Boost. The performance setting is 255 - 255. This won't let your CPU consume 255 watts but setting it like that ensures full Turbo Boost, even when fully loaded.

When setting up a new system and trying to find out what a CPU is capable of, I would use a fixed voltage. I would not use Offset Mode until I knew exactly what a CPU could run at and how much voltage it needs. I would also never use the AUTO bios setting for the core voltage.

It looks like your heatsink is not working as intended. You need to get your CPU running much cooler. Make sure you follow the heatsink paste manufacturer's recommendations when applying thermal paste. The microscopic pea method that is widely recommended is sometimes not enough and can cause the overheating problems that you are having.

Here is what Arctic Silver recommends.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html

The Asus bios has a great feature where you can take screen shots of all your bios settings and it will save them to a USB memory stick. I will go check but I think you need to push the F12 button. You can keep your cell phone in your pocket next time you want to share a bios pic. :)

Last edited:
+1 uncleweb, thankss for the info, OP should understand it better now.

I really think you are missing something when you install your CPU cooler, both your CPU cooler. If you hit over 100°c after only a few second with both the H100 and the air cooler you have, something is wrong somewhere.... FOR SURE.

will... surprise surprise ..... I'm on stock speed no oc at all....cpu hits 104 using real temp under prime 95 and says "HOT"

yep I guess I need to check they way I installed that pump...
Will come back with results soon

Here is what Asus sets the Power Limits to on my P8Z77-V Pro board.

powerlimits.png

Boulard83: I agree. That's why I think it might be the thermal paste application. If you don't have full coverage you can have sky high temperatures.

The above screen shot at 80C is with a Hyper 212 EVO using a line of paste over top of where the cores are located. CPU-Z shows 1.28 volts. I haven't got too technical yet about dialing it in or remounting my cooler 101 times. It works fine as is so that is good enough for me.

Edit: This site has a good hi-res picture of exactly where the 4 cores are located underneath the IHS of an Ivy Bridge CPU. Drag the CPU picture to your desktop so you can get a good look at it. That's where the thermal paste needs to be.

http://www.twylah.com/pcworld/tweets/246287410718183426

Last edited:
ok so what I did so far...
I refitted the pump completely... including thermal grease..that was yesterday...today I decided to remove the pump and check what happened down there...

When I fitted the pump, I've put the grease on the pump plate itself, completely..now when I removed the pump, there was no grease at all where the cpu was touching the pump , the rest of the pump "no cpu touching" still has some grease on it...however, where the action is....there is no grease/paste anymore!!

seems there is an issue with the grease itself, or maybe the way I applied it??? I tried the credit card method...no good...I had to use a small napkin to spread the paste all along the surface I was sure to remove any excess material and to spread the paste equally over the surface

after redistributing the paste, cpu Idles at upper 40's - lower 50's

Last edited:
can you explain plz? and what is cpu boc? about the mount....I tightened the screws really hard and diagonally as the manual indicates.

I'm surprised as this is not the first time I install a cpu....I did it so many times before!

If you had NO paste on the CPU after installing your pump ( cpu bloc/pump assembly ) your pump was NOT touching the CPU.

You are missing a HUGE point in the installation process.

• You put paste on the bloc/pump ( NO matter how you applied it ), not on the CPU so the CPU was clean.
• You installed the bloc/pump on the CPU, tightening the screws.
• You had HORRIBLE temp ...
• You took the bloc/pump off and you had NO paste on the CPU.....

This indicate for 200% sure that your bloc/pump is NOT touching the CPU.

BAD mounting.

N.B. Just a reminder, this is my first answer after your OP.

If you hit 90°c with a 3570k under a H100i at only 4.3ghz.... something is wrong for sure.

• Bad mounting
• Too much paste
• Vcore way to high
• Room temp VERY high
• Insanely poor case airflow

Back