• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prob w/Floppy Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prettycoolguy47

I've been having a problem with my Floppy Drive. The green light comes on showing it's powered up, but everytime I try to use it I get the "A drive not accessible retry". I've changed floppies, cables, and even operating systems with the same result. The light always stays on. At this point in time I can only thing it's a mobo prob. Any ideas?

Have you tried switching the cable around, i.e. turning the connector the other way?

Does the green light on the floppy always stay on? It should only come on briefly at startup and then immediately go away. Usually if it stays lit, that means your cable is backwards.

I've had them be really picky before, so I'd try connecting the cable in different combinations and see if that helps.

Otherwise, if you've tried other cables and floppies that you know work, then it could very well be a bad connector on the mobo.

What brand/model mobo are we talking about?

Anyway, let us know if that helps.

Mike

As Breadfan says, the cable on reversed will cause the light to be on constantly. If that is not the case then there are a few possibilities: 1. Floppy bad. 2. Floppy drive bad. 3. Cable bad. 4. Mobo bad.

Try the floppy in another computer. Use a different cable. Try different disks.

what they said.

if said floppy turns out to be dead just toss it. they're not worth fixing. then get a new one

Not likely. You can visually inspect the floppy connector though. See if any of the solder has come off and one of the pins is loose. also, check and see if any of the pins are touching on the bottom of the mobo and causing a short.

Other than checking for the basics like that, there isn't much you can do.

I might try a BIOS flash as a last resort and shot in the dark, but it sounds like your floppy connector on the mobo is dead.

Mike

Back