• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems sharing the network connection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harderclock

i have 2 computers hooked up to a hub which is hooked up to my cable modem both the computers a visable in the network neighborhood and the 2 computers can share files but only the one computer can access the net. the 2 computers are using the same windows 98 se operating system. in the internet tools the internet sharing is not checked and when i try to enable it it give me a messege it says my network configuration is not complete.it also says i need to install the network hardware before installing the intalling the internet conection sharing.can anyone help?

Last edited:
if both computers are hooked directly to the hub then theres no reason to install ICS. Each computer will pull its own IP address from the cable provider. If you want to connect both computers and use one as a gateway/proxy then intall 2 nics in one, cable modem to 1 nic and a crossover cable to the second nic going to the second computer or regular cable and connect it to the hub then connect the 2nd computer to the hub. depends on if your gonna add more systems to your network later. go into the tcp/ip properties of the 2nd computer set the default gateway to 192.168.01. On the host machine install ICS and you should be fine. it really depends on how you want to layout your network and if you "buy" more then 1 ip from the cable provider. If you use the host computer as a gateway then it will "hide" your second computer behind it only using one IP address. You could also buy a router/switch, i think the dlink 704 is around 100 but depends on your budget. Hell, if you have an old POS 486 you can boot Linux off a floppy to manager your router/firewall. Ok, I'm rambling sorry

Back