• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with 200GB WD HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trypt

I have a WD 7200RPM 200GB HDD (8MB cache) along with other drives.

My problem with this drive is that it only works for about 1 month, then the S.M.A.R.T. message starts comming up. The drive still works, but XP will kick the drive out after about 2 days of being on, every time. When I reboot, the cycle starts again.

Twice in the last 6 months the drive failed with bad sectors reported by XP, and XP wouldn't "see" the drive anymore. So I ran the WD diag software in dos, format the drive, and it becomes normal again, with no S.M.A.R.T. message, and NO bad sectors. After a few weeks, same thing starts again. I called WD and they told me they can replace it, but this is my last option, and that I why I am here.

After reading a few threads here, I found out that everyone seems to say not to connect optical drives on the same cable as a HDD? Could this be the problem? My hdd is a master, my cd-rw is the slave. Right now as I type I have disabled the master in XP device manager, so the HD doesn't show up anymore (also removed it from BIOS), but the cd-rw still works fine (I have power going into the master WD). Could the way I have it setup be the problem? Maybe try to run the drive by itself? I just never thought this could be the culprit.

XP also could be a problem, the reason I am thinking this is because after I format the drive, it seems perfectly fine again, so it seems like its a file allocation error or something, not bad sectors as XP reports. S.M.A.R.T is confusing me too..

Thank you!

It may not be the problem, but I have NEVER run an optical drive on the same channel as a HDD and don't plan on it.

Try swapping the CD-RW to another IDE channel and see if that clears up you problem.

Back