• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with HIS ATI Radeon HD 7970

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adderall

Registered
I originally posted this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725509

Since then, Icould not do much about the situation due to not having any monies. I recently received my tax return and purchased a better power supply (in case the issue was the power supply, a CM Extreme Power Plus 500W, being insufficient***), the better power supply being the Thermaltake TR2 700W.

After connecting the new power supply to the other components and seating the GPU into the motherboard and connecting it to the power supply, I have been unable to get the motherboard to successfully boot with the card connected and power running through the card. The motherboard will boot with the card in the slot if there is no power connector to the card and I was able to plug the connectors in after the computer had booted and the Device manager recognizes that there is a card in the slot and lists it but does not list what it is otherthan Standard VGA Adapter. I have tried installing the Drivers from ATI but Catalyst does not recognize that the card is installed. I made sure to delete the previously installed Nvidia drivers from my computer since I have been using a GTS 450 in the mean time since I first posted and because the GTS 450 is working, I know that the card slot does in fact work, and yes, I have tested both card slots in the motherboard to be sure that it doesn't work in either. I have tried plugging my monitor into the DVI slot and into the HDMI slot using an HDMI to DVI converter and neither works. I know that the converter works because I can use it on the motherboard with the monitor and it is successful (and I have used it with my older laptop and it works). I have tested that the power connectors on my new power supply work as I tried each one plugged into the GTS 450 and booted the computer and all of the power connectors definitely work (I tested this before removing the drivers and the GTS 450 so that I could be absolutely sure that the power supply was working before I put the new gfx card in).

My motherboard (Maximus IV Gene-Z/gen 3) is up to date on the current bios (3603).

My total PC specs are: i7-3700K CPU, ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/gen 3 mobo, 8 gigs of RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws).

As stated, I know that the motherboard seems to be in fine working order since I tested with a GTS 450.

Should I conclude that the 7970 is likely defective or is there anything else I could possibly do at this point which would let me try to get this card working so I can absolutely rule out that it is the problem? I have tried disabling/uninstalling the onboard gfx adapter on the motherboard and rebooting with the 7970 with power connectors connected after connecting after bootings ince it's recognized in the device manager and the computer would not boot, so this was ineffective.

I really can't think of anything else, but if there is anything else that could possibly be done by myself to determine whether the card is not going to work, I would like to know.

When I boot with the 7970 seated in the motherboard and the power connectors connected, the onboard fan on the 7970 comes on, I don't know if I should take this as a sign that the 7970 is working or not.

Any help would be appreciated and I can answer and provide more information if needed, I am extremely eager to resolve this problem and rule out that the card is defunct.

*** The reason I stated the CM psu was insufficient is because it has only one 6 pin connector for pci-e, and the 7970 requires 1 6pin and 1 6+2pin pci-e connectors

hhhhmmm... have you tried to reset your bios?

there should be a cmos reset button/jumper on your mb... follow the mb instructions for resetting your bios... and try again.

I followed those directions already but it didn't do anything. I also tried reseating the battery and it had no effect on the problem.

If you still have the previous PSU, I would recommend hooking it back up to see if the new power supply is the issue. You can supply the 8 pin pci-ex power with an adaptor, should come with the graphics card.

I had a 520W seasonic and it was able to handle 7970+3570k, both overclocked, playing far cry 3-max settings. It was a little loud tho.

You may have went up in wattage, but perhaps not in quality. Not saying its the PSU, though.

I recall hearing that some Asus boards just do not play nice with certain GPUs... though I could be mistaking...

If you still have the previous PSU, I would recommend hooking it back up to see if the new power supply is the issue. You can supply the 8 pin pci-ex power with an adaptor, should come with the graphics card.

I had a 520W seasonic and it was able to handle 7970+3570k, both overclocked, playing far cry 3-max settings. It was a little loud tho.

I tried an adapter that pulls power from the molex connectors to a pci-e 6+2 pin head but it wasn't working with my card. I confirmed that I could connect the adapter and power the GTS 450 so the adapter does not seem to be the problem, nor drawing power from the molex connectors instead of the intended pci-e power connector on the 500w CM power supply.

You may have went up in wattage, but perhaps not in quality. Not saying its the PSU, though.

I recall hearing that some Asus boards just do not play nice with certain GPUs... though I could be mistaking...

Original PSU was a CoolerMaster Extreme PowerPlus, new PSU is a Thermaltake TR2.

Do you have a listing or source where I could find this out? I haven't noticed anything like that when searching online... :(

Sure do.. first, in my signature is a list of quality, PSUs. Not all are there of course, but... that is a list of quality PSUs.

After looking around at reputable review sites, I see its a decent FSP unit. Usually people tend to stay away from coolermaster or Tt units though as some are of poor quality.

Back