• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Spikes on a 7800-XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgilbert

Registered
I have a PowerColor RX7800-XT Fighter. It's power runs at 270 watts when gaming, but there are regular spikes to 330 watts and more, also spikes below the 270 watt baseline. See below, circled in red. Is anyone else seeing this, or should that power graph be flat at 270 watts while gaming?

Power Spikes.jpg

Nope. It's supposed to fluctuate depending on the load at the time of gaming. Unless it's overheating and/or crashing under gaming load, that's normal behavior.

Nope. It's supposed to fluctuate depending on the load at the time of gaming. Unless it's overheating and/or crashing under gaming load, that's normal behavior.
It seems to be working fine, and I understand that it will fluctuate. My concern is those very brief, hard spikes that are well above the 270 watt limit.

Back