• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with Radeon 8500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts are good

Registered
I recently got a Radeon 8500 and downloaded the newest catalyst drivers. I ran a couple of games, like War III, NHL 2002, and MoHAA. After a while of gaming, my video freezes, but the sound keeps going like the game is still running. Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work, and popping out the CD makes the sound stop. Since this happened, I think that there is something wrong with my video card or the drivers. I felt my card, and it was burning hot so I replaced the stock heatsink with a CORB. The CORB kept the GPU running cool to touch, but the problem still occured. Because of this, I think the problem is in Windows or Direct X. I tried running CS on Open GL mode to see if it was a Direct X problem, and it didn't freeze in 1 1/2 hours of gaming. Can anyone help me out? I'm running a Athlon XP 1600+ on WinXP.

what version of direct x, and are you using the drivers that came with the cd, or the newest version of your drivers?

ive heard from ppl here in the forums of problems with remaining driver files, specially about ATI. did you have anyone installed before? if so make sure it was completely removed.
the problem seems to be about the driver compatibility with D3D, ask ppl running the same version and card about it.

oTTO dont you think it sounds like the infinite loop problem? I dunno, thats what popped into my head first.

donuts, when you say the sound keeps going does it play the whole song or whatever or does it just play like 3-4 seconds of the song then repeat those same 3-4 seconds of the music over and over?

If it repeats then its probably the infinite loop error (especially if your motherboard is using a Via chipset) which can be caused by a number of different things. On my system disabling hardware 3D sounds in the game options (for games that allow you to disable it) has stopped my infinite loop problms.

Is your video card or CPU overclocked at all?

im not sure.
there is an article at the viaarena.com that might be of some help in this case. this is the article: http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64.

most of the possible solutions is about the general troubleshooting so it might be helpful anyway.

i personally beleive that is something about the drivers.. if drivers were updated or something, since probel started right after that.

Back