• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: The Chrome Goat... total system mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like the TEC idea.Ive seen quite a few people running around with these things. Cant wait to see it actually inpractice.

Oh and I resent the fact that my compressor is thought of as neanderthal and 1987! Dont worry, Ill be taking care of that in due time... Nothing ugly goes in my projects. (Definition of Ugly up for debate).

Haha. I thought you'd get a kick out the vapo and compressor comments =p. I had an amazingly humorous quip on the basis of trendy evaporators, but it sort of fizzled out after the fourth word =/. I'd edit my post with, "Actually, I like the way compressors look, they look industrial and beefy," but... that would be admitting that I'm wrong and to do so would unmake existance.

This looks like a really cool project. I can't wait to see what type of temps you get with that TEC Chiller and the SS. I really love the chrome frame with plexi, that is a combo I have not seen before and can't wait to see it.

GREAT JOB!

.. Did you build that shroud?

ummm, sorry to go off topic but, could anybody explain to me (or direct me to an explanation) how this shroud - tec - vapochill- hotsidecoldside deal works?
just trying to dedonkeysize myself.

emilio

vonkaar said:
chiller-wired.jpg

What are those cards, and why do you have three of them? :eh?:

That cooler is AWESOME. I think it can handle most temps that you can throw at it, since the gases in lasers get pretty damn hot.

Why did you choose the name, The Chrome Goat, or is it just a secret name until its finished?

Hehe... the 'goat' will be revealed when the time is right. The cards are Sound Blaster Live. When I first tested the chiller with a modest 80gph pump, it froze up after about 10 seconds. That's with room temperature water. My thermometer was broken =p.

woah man, ur case sounds like it would be awesome when its done, the concept ideas of plexiglass and chroming remind me of when i read THIS article down at bit-tech

ooo sooo bright i gotta wear my sunglasses hehe, pretty nice man, pretty nice. :D I'm thinking about getting some of my case internals anaodized blue or something.

wow! I am really looking forward to seeing this develop. It is the ocforums answer to bit-tech! Although your chromed parts do somewhat resemble the early stages of G-nome's work, I have no doubt that your work will have it's own unique style and flair. I personally really like the clean, refined "I-pod" look. Keep the updates coming man!

Hey Orac3 is one thing.

I would love to see Gnome step into the realm of extreme cooling like we are going to see here. Take in all of the variables and deal out what I believe we are all going to be witnesses to.

Personally my jollies get rocked a tad more by a custom overclocked monster with a one ina million cooling system than shiny shower hoses and a huge budget.

(No offense to anyone at Bit Tech).

I just like my "Show" with a big side of "Go".

I think were going to have our own little niche here ot OC-Forums modding section. Eventually I would love to see us known for producing some sick cases that perform as well. We have a huge base built in overclocking bread and butter. I think that puts us in a great place unlike a strait forward case modding site.

(hehe, youve got alot to live up to now :D)

Mod On.

>Its a Koala Bear, crap Rainbow-Brain Casarole.

what is this, for the love of Elvis??
this is not a PM because i am sure others want to hear the answer too...

For those that will undoubtedly make the comparison...

G-Gnome is my lord and master for computer-modding euphoria. There isn't a single thing that I will be doing that will even slightly compare with the slightest detail he's spent on Orac³. His is the only computer that I can show my 'non-nerd' friends and impress them. Orac³ breaks the boundary between the common layman response of, "why spend so much time on turning your PC into a low-rider?" and "holy crap, that's awesome." In ten years, when every PC is flashy and/or 'extreme', Orac³ will be remembered as 'the' hobbyist's final answer to a beautiful mod.

Having said that, I'm *still* going to do my 'own' mod. If Plexi and Chrome are all that it takes for me to be called a G-Gnome wannabe (thx emails), then I'm guilty. As it is, being a G-Gnome wannabe isn't really a 'bad' thing. He's amazingly talented. However, he and I are doing very different systems and the end-results will differ greatly.

Finally... in response to another set of emails I've received from these 2 threads (oc and bit-tech):
The Cascade-SS is not for sale. Unless you have 5 grand burning a hole in your pocket, stop asking.

vonkaar said:

The Cascade-SS is not for sale. Unless you have 5 grand burning a hole in your pocket, stop asking.

Please please, pretty please! Oh wait... *looks in rig*

I so hear ya on that one buddy.

But it is nice to know you're sitting on a potential gold mine that's worth more than you paid for it. Just think, a computer part that apreciates for once.

So when are we going to get an actuall update with some more pics?

Tazon said:
>Its a Koala Bear, crap Rainbow-Brain Casarole.

what is this, for the love of Elvis??
this is not a PM because i am sure others want to hear the answer too...

It started as a Sealab 2021 quote. Though I was way too drunk so it just turned into a Matt-of-the-day quote.

Originally posted by UberBlue
But it is nice to know you're sitting on a potential gold mine that's worth more than you paid for it. Just think, a computer part that apreciates for once.
Hah! For once... I mean, I guess my IBM PCjr might be worth some money to collectors... but I'm sure it's nowhere near the 5 grand my dad paid for it when I was a toddler. Have you been bugged about your SS? The offers are especially funny... the best I've seen was what I paid for it. Very haha and a little tee hee. But seriously folks... if you want to buy my SS for $5,000 USD, let me know and I'll take it into consideration.

Originally posted by UberBlue
So when are we going to get an actuall update with some more pics?

Did more work on the heatercores and I started building the 'bending' slab for the acrylic panels... but that's kinda boring. If ya'll really want to see the intricate details that go into hacking off a pair of pipes and attaching a few barbs, I'll post that =p. Otherwise...

Hmmm... updates...

I just got back from Home Depot with a nice bag of shiny rivets. I'm going to polish them up (stainless steel) so they appear 'chromey'. Currently, I'm eating a BBQ sandwich that puts the 'holy crap that's a hot' in 'Holy crap that's a hot sandwich!!!' For anyone that's ever had Texas BBQ... you know what I'm talking about. My mouth is a raging inferno. Satan has left 3 messages on my phone pleading for thermal tips and suggestions. Also, my truck has developed a new rattle that I'm only semi-worried about.

Oh... wait. You mean an update on the mod...

Hmm...

Well, I decided to use 1/8" acrylic on the front panel instead of the 1/4" I tested. I bought a few panels and will try out some bending tonight. If it looks stupid, I'll go back to 1/4". All other 'mods' are waiting on a few purchases to arrive. Patience, precious.

vonkaar said:

Hah! For once... I mean, I guess my IBM PCjr might be worth some money to collectors... but I'm sure it's nowhere near the 5 grand my dad paid for it when I was a toddler. Have you been bugged about your SS? The offers are especially funny... the best I've seen was what I paid for it. Very haha and a little tee hee. But seriously folks... if you want to buy my SS for $5,000 USD, let me know and I'll take it into consideration.

Just one, but I haven't advertized as much as you. I was offered an original Cascade and a 8500LE in trade. Coffee came spewing outta my nose when I read that.

Back