• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU requirements for two GPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
My new build is going to house and host two GPUs, an RTX 2060 & RTX 3060, both for folding@home work. For the RTX 2060 specs say Minimum 500 W or greater, for the RTX 3060 it's 550W or greater power supply.
So would the total required PSU rating be linear...500+550...1050 or higher? Also, single or dual rail?

Single/Dual rail thing has been a non-issue for a few/several years at this point... you'll really only find single-rail PSUs these days. That said, those aren't power-hungry cards so if you have a PSU that's a TRUE multi-rail (read, OCP on each rail) unit, those likely won't overload anything anyway.

PSU requirements are always higher than reality. This covers their arse for those using **** PSUs, for example. As far as what you need, I wouldn't add those up like that. The most obvious thing is those values include the systems they stand on/total system draw while you are putting 2 GPUs in one machine. So, you really don't need a 1KW+ PSU.

Look at their TDP/TBP and go off that. IIRC, the RTX 2060 is 185W and the RTX 3060 is 170W. Running full tilt without tweaks is 350W. If I wasn't F@H, I'd run a system like that off a 650W PSU without a care in the world. Since this is 24/7/365 and efficiency matters too, a quality 750-850W unit is plenty. More than that is wasting money.

I wasn't going to reply as the two posts above this one cover it however...

You're adding two more GPUs to the FOLD? You might unseat me then and I got issue with that (Not really). Grrrr..... ;) Fold on!

Thanks ATMINSIDE and ED, well it looks like the EVGA Supernova 750W G6 I bought from @dfonda should fill the bill nicely.
Post magically merged:

I wasn't going to reply as the two posts above this one cover it however...

You're adding two more GPUs to the FOLD? You might unseat me then and I got issue with that (Not really). Grrrr..... ;) Fold on!
No, just doing some rearranging. :giggle: :coffee:

Although, if I put the electric on auto-pay then the wife will never see it, and I'd be free to give HayesK a run for his money. <woot>

Total f@h GPU count for 2022:
GTX 1080
RTX2060
RTX 3060

Last edited:
I'm running:
3080Ti
1080SC
2x 6c12t CPU Xeon 3xxx
8c16t CPU Threadripper 1900

That's me all out. The CPUs don't do much but I got 'em so why not. More 3060's when the prices drop to at least retail or better as the market settles.

If you are going to run all 3 listed cards then I count they will reach about 500W in F@H. The 850W PSU is more than enough and should run fine for a long time.
I would probably run F@H on one PC but the electricity costs right now are way too high and next raises are expected :(

If you are going to run all 3 listed cards then I count they will reach about 500W in F@H. The 850W PSU is more than enough and should run fine for a long time.
I would probably run F@H on one PC but the electricity costs right now are way too high and next raises are expected :(
Just two folding GPUs in the Antec case, the RTX 3060 is in my new build(Folding rig #2 in sig).

Back