• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD AM4 system instability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've done some more testing and BIOS config changes since my last post on this.

With XMP disabled / memory running in default/Auto settings I still get crashes at basically the same frequency of anywhere from 3-5 times a week to a few times a month.

Bought a new higher wattage power supply because my Corsair RM650i was ~8 years old and I thought that might be a problem, also so that I could have more longevity for future upgrades or new builds, and so that I could upgrade to a higher performance/higher power GPU in the future if I feel the need to upgrade.

The new power supply didn't solve the issues either.

I also have another type of crash I don't think I mentioned here earlier, what I will call a "soft crash" where I'm in Windows and actively using the computer where it will suddenly start not responding to inputs. I click buttons, shortcuts/executable items/programs and it just doesn't respond. Attempt to close a program (Firefox, EA launcher, Battle.net launcher, e-mail program, etc) and they remain open. Had this happen a couple of times this week, once while I was watching a video on youtube and the audio kept playing while the video portion was frozen and I couldn't move it along the timeline forward or backward to have any effect. When this happens I end up having to press the reset button on the front of my case to get it out of this "soft crash" mode, because I can't restart the computer from within Windows when this happens, because restart and shut down don't respond either.

After getting back into Windows I went to an Admin command prompt, ran the commands of DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth (I also tried the /CheckHealth and /ScanHealth options before this) and then SFC /SCANNOW to attempt OS Cleanup/File System cleanup. Neither seemed to indicate any File System corruption though, so that wasn't it, this time.

Ultimately ended up re-running a Windows 10 v22H2 from an ISO I had on hand to do an in-place reinstall/upgrade of the version of Windows I already had installed to see if that would resolve the "soft crash" issue. At least it hasn't done that since the reinstall.

At this point, I truly don't know what is causing my issues. I only know I've only experienced these issues on AMD socket AM4, and never on any other AMD or Intel platform that I can remember building/running.

I have also acquired some memory that is not G.SKILL, to try out, but haven't gotten around to putting that in my system yet (Corsair).

I know this is an old thread but I think that you may have missed the original issue causing the crashes. I believe it to be the screen saver program itself. It has been years but I think that several members had issues with the screen saver and an AMD configuration more often then the Intel side. Part of it were the power settings and screen change rate making settings that were stable seem to crash for no reason because some Windows updates would change the settings power without you knowing. It has been years since I built this system but I do remember having the same issue with the screensaver program as well as a few other members here.

Back