• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push/pull, neither?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I must be asking a lot of questions lately. That's what the forums are for anyway.

I currently use a push setup on my radiator, with the only gap between the radiator and fan the housing on my Blackice.

Would any more gap help noise/temps?

How about another fan pulling?

Does a pulling setup affect temps negatively compared to a push only setup?

I am mostly concerned with the best balance of noise vs. temps., but I'd think two fans at reduced speed would have better performance than a single fan at higher speed trying to put out the same airflow.

Adding a pulling fan should help cool the water a little better, but its won't be a huge difference. Try to make the pulling fan stronger or as strong as the pushing fan.

If you have just one fan, my own experiences have taught me that it doesn't matter if the fan is push or pull.

Noise wise, the pulling fan will be the loudest, but the farther away from the rad the quieter it will be. But keep in mind the farther away it is, the more velocity you will lose, and the air will spread out (shrouds prevent this for the most part). My best results have been with the fans 1 inch away from the radiator with a shroud.

So 2 fans with ~1" shrouds of equal strength seems to be the way to go. I just wish someone would sell shrouds. I don't really have the tools or materials to make an aluminum one. I was thinking if one could get empty 120mm fan hubs those could work well.

Voodoo Rufus said:
So 2 fans with ~1" shrouds of equal strength seems to be the way to go. I just wish someone would sell shrouds. I don't really have the tools or materials to make an aluminum one. I was thinking if one could get empty 120mm fan hubs those could work well.

DTEK sells shrouds. I'm using two of them, getting 33'C full load on my secondary xp 1600+, O/C'd

So it has sense to do a push-pull even if the pulling fan is stronger than the pusching one? I can have a 40CFM/50CFM pulling and a 30CFM only pushing...

The shrouds for the Dtek ones are for their "Coolercores". They wouldn't fit a blackice, or most other radiators I think.

Back