• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Px4 840 overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cavatio

Alright so here it is. I have a Phenom x4 840 stock clock is 3.2 200x16 temp on idle is 20c, temp under full load is 25-27c (i keep my pc in an empty closet with the ac on - ac off and open windows in the winter) so its never hot. (i run the wires through the wall into my room.)

i can easy overclock my gfx card,
i have a GTX460 1037v-900core-1800shader-2100mem (saving up for gtx670)

but when ever i oc my cpu even to 202x16 (3.232) my cpu temps read insanely high. 65c^ at all times. Any suggestions on what i can do? maybe the cpu is a extremely bad oc'er? :bang head

What kind of CPU cooler are you using? What kind of vcore were you using to overclock it? What are the CPU temps without the extra 2 mhz of overclock and whatever else you do to it when you overclock? If the only thing you change is the FSB from 200-202 there is no way that will make much temp difference at all. Have you monitored temp without any overclock? If not, I suggest you do that first and get back to us with results.

And when you say 65c is that a CPU (i.e., socket) temp or is that a core temp? What are you measuring temps with?

My first guess would be the CPU cooler is not seated well or the TIM is not getting good coverage.

Cavatio, can you show screenshots of stock idle/load with temperatures (2 screens for stock)
and the same 2 screens for OC?
Please have CPU-Z open 2 times with CPU, Memory tabs (at least) and also CoreTemp, HWMonitor, AI Suite, whatever program you have to monitor temperatures.

Like trents said, 200 to 202, there is no way it can make that difference at all.

Thanks. :)

Back