• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad Lcd Display.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Msi.

Hey

This is a project my and my friend were thinking about, My moms boyfreind has a workshop so we have all the tools required and contacts that can get us building material + screens needed for a decent price (90$ - 120$ per LCD screen) Might checkup ebay to but not for now.

What the project conist of is getting four (4) lcd screens of the same size and removeing the boarder around the screen because no one likes to play a game with a 2cm(20mm) gab between each image and mounting it up so that there would be about .5cm(5mm) between each image.

Thing we havent figured out yet is protecting each screen from each other or risk of an electric current passing from one screen to an other. we were thinking of using aluminium to build the frame to make it reletivly light weight in case we ever need to move it.

the front of the whole mount would be crombed and painted with probably a dark red metalic paint finished off with a plexiclass layer over the borders to avoid scatching or anything like that.

so.

#1 Is this a stupid idea (i seem to have a lot)?
#2 what kind of lcd screens to use?
#3 how could we securly isolate the lcd screens from each other?
#4 what programs would I use to set this up.

----
note:
----
For the programme to allow all four (4) screens to interact with each other I was thinking the programs that usually go with the video cards. it will most likley be connected to the new system being built.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4329075#post4329075

meaning dual 7800GT unless you have suggestions on other video cards.

hope to have this all done by winter 2006.

Interesting, 7800GTs should be ok, depending on whioch scrren, the res will probably be 1280x1024 so 78gts in SLI shouldt have to much problem. thats all ica noffer.

thanks anyways, im still working on how to rack the screens if i get them.

I know that I have to have a base weight at the bottom or the screens will flop over which would be a bad thing :p

ill have something up tonight one i get home and scan it.

Are you meaning full LCD monitors that you can just plug into regular graphics cards? If not and you mean bare laptop screens then forget it as you'll spend all year trying to get them hooked up to desktop controllers that cost $150 a piece and don't even have 3D acceleration. Also "cheap" LCD screens of any type are probably going to be real nasty for gaming on, poor response time.

RoadWarrior said:
Are you meaning full LCD monitors that you can just plug into regular graphics cards? If not and you mean bare laptop screens then forget it as you'll spend all year trying to get them hooked up to desktop controllers that cost $150 a piece and don't even have 3D acceleration. Also "cheap" LCD screens of any type are probably going to be real nasty for gaming on, poor response time.

Yes I mean FULL LCD monitors.

Laptop monitors are crap honnestly just crap I find them way to fragil and woulden't want to spend days on end trying to find the controllers and plus 150$ is more then what I bought my 20" Sony Trinitron screen for.

as I said i get good prices for used screens It will probably end up costing me a little more per sceen for LCD's but its worth it, dont want to try doing this with 4x CRT it would just be killer to work with and imagin needing to move them!

I need good brand names for LCD screens I test the refresh rate where I buy them etc... and can see the goods befor bringing them home so I think im safe for that thought testing a game there probably wont be possible but I think a graphic intensive video should see how well it can run...

UT2004 Frapsed at max FPS (max bot limite)
Doom3 Frapsed at max FPS (hell level)
Stuff like that.

More comments would be nice :)

Msi. said:
thanks anyways, im still working on how to rack the screens if i get them.

I know that I have to have a base weight at the bottom or the screens will flop over which would be a bad thing :p

ill have something up tonight one i get home and scan it.

I use the Ergotron DS100 quad mount. You can probably fabricate something similar to mount your monitors.

Sorry If I haven't replied in a while.

@TTP I'll look into the mount model that you posted I coverd most aspects of how to mount the screens makeing it stable, cheap to build and easily movable when the time comes to move out or change apartments or something.

@apu318 about the lcd screens I have yet to look into it, the store i buy them from ARE at the price stated I may go into the 174$ per screen but its still butter then buying new ones for 300+$ especailly for a modd. Also this is to make a wide screen without haveing any Screen Frames seperating the images (or at least less screen frames as possible)

Many people have posted about connecting a computer to TV and I have 32" I like the size but I didnt like the quality. Thats mainly what made me start this project.

Back