• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question About FX 8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks RB1991 .....

Those are actually pretty good temps and you still have a bit of headroom, we generally recommend not exceeding 60*C core and 70*C socket temps. You should have no issues with getting a bit more from your OC.

One thing I had noticed in other postings in the forums with large air coolers in the build is the socket temp was considerably higher then the Core Temp and a big reason why I asked for the HWMoniter capture. That's not the case here and it looks like you have some decent airflow in your case.

Now all you should need to do is add a bit more VCore to get your chip stable @ 4.3.

Not sure if you really need to run your CPU LLC at Ultra High you might want to try one step lower on it as well. There is no need to run Prime for 10+ hrs till you have reached a point in your OC that you are happy with and don't plan to go higher till then 2 hrs of prime should be good.

^Regarding the 10/12hrs Prime, it all depends on what you do with your PC.

I had examples of a rig holding 2hrs+ of prime, but giving BSOD when working on heavy files with PhotoShop...

If it's a work machine, better pass the 12hrs test!

Thanks RB1991 .....

Those are actually pretty good temps and you still have a bit of headroom, we generally recommend not exceeding 60*C core and 70*C socket temps. You should have no issues with getting a bit more from your OC.

One thing I had noticed in other postings in the forums with large air coolers in the build is the socket temp was considerably higher then the Core Temp and a big reason why I asked for the HWMoniter capture. That's not the case here and it looks like you have some decent airflow in your case.

Now all you should need to do is add a bit more VCore to get your chip stable @ 4.3.

bassnut.... And what about nb and ht speeds? can i get a boost in performance with those? they are at stock. Also, can I touch ram speeds? its stock 1300 kingston

Last edited:
Not with FX's.

They usualy don't like NB above 2600/2700MHz. And HT link will give zero improvement in perf.

In that, tehy are different from Phenom's.

you guys are all spot on.
your bottlenecking your rig with the kingston 1333 ram, most have gone to 1866 and up and do not use kingston with amd cpus, it just dosn't seem to play quite nice with amd rigs.
with the 1333 ram i dont see much to be gained with the cpu/nb, that connects the cpu with the ram.

I work a monster numbers crunching program on my 8 core rig that runs for days, when i swap that drive in I have to add 2 bumps of vcore to what i have passed p95 for hours with or the system errors and strange as it seems, heats like the devil till i get the vcore up.

Good catch CD ...... Here I was thinking he was running 1866 ram. I just went back through the posts and I have no idea where I got that number. Dam I must be loosing it. CaddiDaddi is right these FX CPU love the faster ram I run mine at 1866 even though they are rated for 2400, that's one aspect of my OC I never seemed to play with.

RB1991 ..... if you still have issues with your OC, I am not telling you to go out and buy new ram but if you have a friend that can lend you some GSkill ram give it a try in your system. I really hate ragging on Kingston Ram but for whatever reason I cannot get Kingston ram to play nice with my FX CPU's.

I just gave away some very expensive Kingston 2133 ram in a cheap system I built for my girlfriends sister at Christmas time simply because in 1 system (FX 8350) I could not get it to even boot the second system, my FX 8150 as soon as I tried to OC the CPU it would crap out on me. Give it a try if you can.

As far as your CPU/NB and HT ..... with your ram its not needed but for reference for me, I find something in the 2400MHZ region to work best for me. Some guys like RGone have had success up to 2600MHZ, that's something you will have to experiment with. your CPU/NB voltage is fine where it is unless you try to get up over 2400MHZ.

with both my 8120 and my 8350 I find that a cpu/nb clock of around 2500 works very well 24/7 and 2600 in some benchmarks, either way having cpu/nb and ht in lockstep works very well.

with both my 8120 and my 8350 I find that a cpu/nb clock of around 2500 works very well 24/7 and 2600 in some benchmarks, either way having cpu/nb and ht in lockstep works very well.

Corsair Dominator GT 2x4096MB DDR3 1866Mhz CAS9 1.5V or

G.Skill ARES DDR3 4x4GB 2133MHz CAS11 1.6v ( but my motherboard the limit is 1866mhz, can i put those?

ok, a few options.
the 1866 witch will clock from 1600 to about 2000, if you go to an 8350 in the future your ok.

the 2133 if you might go to steamroller when(if) it comes out and it might keep you from paying to upgrade in the future.it should clock from 1866 to around 2200.

lets have the others chime in on this as i'm no memory expert.

I'm using a couple of ocz gamestreams and they work well for me.
750 watt should be enough for you. in my clocking and working rig i use a 1050 watt.
all my rigs here at the house are water cooled and that means pumps and fans galore.

Back