• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC 4.3 GHZ AMD FX8320 SABERTOOTH 990fx R2.0 - What's your thoughts? Overheating?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

datad02

Registered
I'm new to this forum and new to overclocking properly as well. So recently I've upgraded my motherboard to an Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0. I know my build is largely outdated but I honestly don't really mind it. I'm not big into playing video games anymore. For now I just want to learn how to overclock.

So my focus right now is overclocking my CPU, I think i'm done but I need an experts opinion. I tried using stevenb's guide on bulldozer overclocking and got quite flustered when trying to up my HT clock. Now i've made it much more simple for myself and just left everything at base value nearly. Everything seems good and stable I ran Prime95 for 10 min to check if each clock was stable short term and went up by 200 each notch. Landed at 4300mHz. Now my concern is temperature. I could get past 4.3Ghz if I had better cooling but this is what i'm working with. I've adjusted fans for negative airflow rather than positive.

Temps under full load:

*CPU temp stayed nearly 3 degrees below this consistently.

10 Minute Test: CPU - 62C Socket - 71C
2 Hours: CPU - 65C Socket - 73C

For the clocks:

CPU Ratio at 21 (4300 Mhz) default bus.
Memory at 1600
CPUnb at 2200
HT Link at 2600

For voltages:
vCore: 1.35V
CPU NB: 1.25V
DRAM: 1.5V

I ran my 8320 at 4.7 ghz stable and any voltage over 1.475 did nothing to make cpu clock higher , then my 9590 at 5ghz stable. Vcore 1.475 also. 5.1ghz and above took way over 1.5.
Unfortunately you are at the temp limit. Open the case up get a house fan blowing max speed into the case. Keep temps below 65c
Ran mine on an open loop, before open case and a home depot box fan blowing on stock cooler.

I ran my 8320 at 4.7 ghz stable and any voltage over 1.475 did nothing to make cpu clock higher , then my 9590 at 5ghz stable. Vcore 1.475 also. 5.1ghz and above took way over 1.5.
Unfortunately you are at the temp limit. Open the case up get a house fan blowing max speed into the case. Keep temps below 65c
Ran mine on an open loop, before open case and a home depot box fan blowing on stock cooler.

Thanks, I really just need a fan upgrade the case fans are definitely not powerful enough. I've tried making it open air like you said and it does help immensely. However, this is my daily pc so I want to keep it nice and neat. I was thinking of getting some of the higher end fans like noctua. They're just a bit pricey. I'm glad though that i'm not over the limit with this oc.

Back