• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about old 1.3 GHZ Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

codyc

I have a FIC AD-11 socket A motherboard that runs 266 FSB. I was running an AMD Athlon 1.3 GHz (133 x 10) cpu, but while installing a different heatsink/fan I damaged the cpu and I'm going to replace it with a different one. This is an old system, and I was wondering if an AMD Duron Socket A 1.6 GHz would work in it. I don't want to overclock it, just wondering if the Duron would run at an underclocked 1.3 GHz (I think 10 is as high as the multipliers go in my BIOS). The reason I'm asking is b/c I found a Duron for $20 after rebate at TigerDirect.com, so naturally I'd like to repair my system cheaply.

If the motherboard supports TBreds (Thoroughbreds) it'll work, if not, then I wouldn't count on that duron.

Here's what the motherboard manual says: (FIC AD11)

"The new Socket A 1stMainboard AD11 is an ATX sized motherboard supporting the latest generation of AMD Athlon and Duron processors at industry leading speeds. By utilizing DDR (Double Data Rate) transfer rate the 100/133 MHz AMD Athlon/Duron system bus effectively reaches speeds of 200/266 MHz. The AMD Athlon processor offers high-performance cache technology, including 128KB of on-chip level on (L1), while the Duron features full-speed, on-chip L2 cache memory, and enhanced 3DNow! technology. The 1stMainboard AD11 has 2 memory module sockets for up to 1 GB of DDR SDRAM (PC-200/266) is equipped with ECC memory support."

Does this provide any further information?

The best is to contact the MB manufacturer. If U can't then my guess is that it will take "Palamino" core XPs. Those were the first XPs after the Thunderbirds like what U broke. After that they moved to a different core called Thoroughbred A and B and then Barton. I know my old XP boards could not take the Barton CPU but could take Palimino and Thoroughbred.

I bet your MB could take up to a XP 1800 Palamino. There are tons of them on E bay including one I am selling. Palamino core Durons should work too.

Back