• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about x6 in AM2+ board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As I mentioned before I ended up buying a used PC for $250 I was able to trade my brother my old ram and motherboard for his hp motherboard and slower ram and gave him that nice cpu cooler that came with the computer I bought on craigslist. The computer I bought off craigslist came with a 1TB 7200rpm 32mb HD I sold it back with my 9550 4gb DDR2-666 a 500gb HD and a stock cpu cooler for $275 so I made $25 on the deal.

I re-installed windows and got everything going. I am very happy with the results sisoft has me performing above the 1100T. I am using a Phenom x2 555 with both cores unlocked and overclocked to ~3.8 the system is stable and I am fairly certain that the cpu cooler I have will do just fine it is rated at 180w it is a cooler master v8 I am a lil worried about being in the dark on the temperatures because when you unlock the cores on the 555 it doesn't report the temperature anymore.

I can now run all my games full out on my MSI R6950 2GB (unlocked shaders and clocked to 6970)

So thanks a lot your guidance led me to ditch the AM2 board

Here's a workaroun I copied and pasted from my instructions to anther user for the disabled core temp reading that happens when you unlock cores:

One of the HWMonitor TMPINx readouts will be the CPU reading. To figure out which one, lock the two unlocked cores back up so that the CPU is an X2 again. Then, with HWMonitor open on the desktop, commence a Prime95 blend test. Note two things:

1. Which of the TIMPNx readouts heats up the quickest in the first 2 minutes of the test and seems to keep step with the core temp readout temp climb. This will be the CPU socket temp readout.
2. Let the test run for 20 minutes and take note of the differential between core temps and the TMPINx readout line which you determined to be the CPU temp. Remember this differential because it will stay pretty much the same when you switch back to the X3 or X4 unlocked mode.

Back