• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on formatting a slave drive that has XP on it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I have a friends system I am trying to format. I just installed all the new hardware, board,chip and ram , his current 80GB HD has X Pro on it.

For some reason upon installing XP Pro the system shuts down, I have hit F6 to initiate chipset driver installation as I am installing on a K8N Asus S754 NF3 board.

It loads the appropriate nforce storage controller driver but shortly after as installation continues the system restarts. I am wondering if the drive may be hooped, it seems to get very hot, but the odd thing is I am able to access it on my own machine when I replace my 80 GB slave drive with it and have the jumper set as slave or even no jumper.

I have tried to format it within windows but it will not allow so I have deleted everthing on the drive but windows folder is left on the drive empty. I am sure there are other files embedded I do not see. I plan to install it back in his machine and attempt to format and install XP Pro. I have tried the drive on the primary IDE as master and I have tried it on the secondary IDE and I have also tried it as a slave to the ide chain behind the dvdrw drive.

Still no success. I am stumped I have checked all settings in the bios ,everything seems to be correct. Am I missing anythng cause I have never had this issue before and I am leaning towards feeling that the drive boot sector is hooped.

Ideas guys,hopefully tonight?

Well update I tried uninstalling 1x512 pc3200 samsung and I still have issue, I have swapped each stick out ,funny thing is system has gone farther but after loading the chipset drivers it is just hanging with "please wait" .

I am gonna try 2x512 pc3500OCZ, I am running the sticks in dimm 1 and 3 as stated in manual for double sided. Well I am stumped what are the best drive diagnostic tools to test a WD 80GB drive, good thing is it is under warranty till 07.

CK

Last edited:
hmm.

Does it pass the drive fitness test from the HD company?

Will randish or partition magic format the drive??

Reread it. Can you delete the partition in Windows? Instead of just formatting it completely wipe out any partitions? (this would be in your machien). Scan it for viruses.

Am I correct that it runs hot in his machine but not yours?

I second the drive diagnostic from the drive manufacturer. Then I would zero wipe it with the software from the manufacturer.

Kendan said:
I second the drive diagnostic from the drive manufacturer. Then I would zero wipe it with the software from the manufacturer.

thanks for the feedback guys. I was able to delete all files when I hooked it up as a slave on my system the only thing left is a empty windows folder. I will attempt to hook it back up on my rig and then run diagnostic tools to wipe it clean

Back