• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on the Vega GPU's.. compared to Nivida

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

I just bought a 1070TI video card to replace my aging r9-290.. Because in Total war warhammer and other games my fps just sucks.. specially after i got my new 27 inch curved 2560x1440 monitor 3 months ago.

One thing i totally forgot though was the Monitor is a freesync monitor... And i forgot all about that, The 1070TI obviously doesnt support freesync.. and well, that kinda seems stupid to spend $400 on a monitor and then $470 on a video card and not be able to use that feature.

But my dillema is the 1070TI from what i have seen compared to a Vega 56 is much faster.. 10-15 Average FPS more.. and its cheaper at 470$ vs 500 for the Vega 56.. So the next option for AMD is the Vega 64... but the 64 is $570 at the cheapest i can find... and its performance is equal to the 1070ti from what ive dug up on google and the graphs ive seen..

So to get freesync ill have to spend $570 or 100$ more vs the 1070ti i have comming.. and that kinda sucks.. I could spend $30 more and get the 56 Vega, but then my FPS will be lower.. and sometimes 10-15 fps is all it takes to make or break gaming (45 vs 60fps for example where 45 to me is starting to get annoyingly unplayable) you know what i mean ? What would you guys Do ? Keep the 1070ti and just not have freesynce and save the 30 or 100$ and have equal too or better performance, or spend the 30$ get lower fps and have freesynce.. Or spend $100 and have equal performance and freesync..

Those are the 3 options

45 gets annoying to my eyes.. i can see the game start to slow down I dont like it at all. You must be one of those people who said your eyes cant tell the diff from 30 and 60fps/hz 10 years ago right ? And now we have people saying 60 and 144 is a huge difference.

Regardless what would you do.. Keep the 1070ti or spend more on the vega 56/64 for freesync, screen tearing is just as abnoxious as low fps but i dunno if its 100$ more money abnoxious lol

Yeah, high refresh rates definitely have changed the landscape in the last 10 years. What is your refresh rate? I don't think you'll get tearing with the Ti, but if your display is 144 Hz and you're playing AAA titles Freesync may smooth things out nicely.

Mine is 144hz. I have a Viotek GN27D monitor.. Its 2560x1440, curved VA panel with 144hz..

I decided to return the 1070ti and get an Asus strixx OC Vega 64. It came with farcry 5 for free, and itself was only $600, so 100$ more BUT the free game if you deduct that price i only paid $50 more

Might be a waste but if you go for the 1070ti you will likely have the horsepower to use Fast Sync for most (if not all) games. Personally i can't play below 60fps anymore, it just destroys my enjoyment if the game isn't fluid but i have been using it with zero issues and next to zero input lag :thup:

Clipboard01.jpg

EDIT: how come the bad FPS ? in my 8370+1060 i have an average of 80fps in TW:WH, never seen it dip below 60fps even in big battles. Just disable shadows and SSAO and use FXAA, doesn't really make a difference visually.

Last edited:
45 gets annoying to my eyes.. i can see the game start to slow down I dont like it at all. You must be one of those people who said your eyes cant tell the diff from 30 and 60fps/hz 10 years ago right ? And now we have people saying 60 and 144 is a huge difference.
Depends on the monitor too. I can't tell the difference between 45fps and 100fps on my CRT, But I sure has hell can on a LCD.

Ok i got my Vega 64 the asus StriX OC edition..

Sadly performance on a Vega 64 even overclocked is slower then a 1070ti, I was under the impression it was on par with a 1080.. those benchmarks are either wrong or something else. Basically in in the witcher im getting 4-5 fps less, Thats not alot but i look at the same area in Khaer Morghen and Im consitantly getting 4-5 fps less on the Vega 64.

In Warhammer 2 total war. Its an even bigger drop. The 3 Benchmarks in game the 1070TI got 59.3 in the first benchmark, 73.9 in the 2nd, and 53.6 in the 3rd. On full ultra details. The Vega 64 got 54.7 first and 59.0 2nd, and 49.1 3rd, In the game when i load a save the main map im getting 52 fps as it loads in the position in sitting at, the Vega 64 gets 42. In battles the Vega 64 dropped to 27-30 fps in some fights, and the same battle on the 1070ti its getting 40-50fps..

Subnautica wont even load with the Vega 64 it just crashes..

What a Let down, due to the 20-30fps i saw in warhammer its below the 45 freesync range, and the monitor was flickering in the background like freesync does if its under the range of the monitor.. Game is really slow and barely playable on the Vega 64 at Ultra, but runs great on the 1070ti. I want to like and i want to keep the vega 64 because i love AMD, but damn man, i just paid $70 more for 5-20% less fps in the games i tested it on. Freesync looked great in The witcher and other games that were in the freesync range, but warhammer.. my fav game right now running so sluggish on this card.. Im upset..

Was told on other forums and from the benchmarks ive seen that the Vega 64 is faster then a 1070ti.. and its not

Random thoughts:

On average, the Vega 64 is supposed to be comparable to a 1080, but it will depend on the game and settings if one or other is faster. Some games just work better on nvidia, others work better on AMD.

I have a blower Vega 56, and have to say this sucker runs hot. I'd hope the Asus models are better, but do keep an eye on temps while running, and check in case airflow is insufficient.

The Asus strix is some special cooler they invented so they claim it has 40% better contact to the core then standard coolers.. 3 fans. Running the card it got to 75c max never higher. I have 3 120mm 900rpm fans on my door and 2 80mm intake in front of case.. with the psu fan going out and 3 80mm back fans and 1 top.

trust me i got tons of ventalation haha.

I didnt run driver cleaner but i did install the amd drivers on my new 1TB 860evo ssd i got yesturday too and still nothing. Thr VEGA 64 is litterally just slower then the 1070ti even overclocked.. And that is upsetting. Maybe its faster in vulkan games like doom and wolfenstein.. but when it comes to warhammer where i need thay 10fps to stay above at 30fps when using ultra settings thats alot more important to me.

I was not expecting that. In the witcher 3 the 4-5 fps drop average from say 80 to 75fps im fine with that freesynce looks to good to complain.

But in warhammer again going from 40-50fps to 20-40 thats alot... The freesync range is 44-144 on my monitor so that is why the game flickers.

And i cant even get subnautica to load on thr vega64.. It starts up black screen then crashes..

Uhg... So i have a decision to make now... Return my vega64 or return the 1070ti... What would you guys do.. Honestly i like opinions.

I didnt use DDU i just got it.. uninstalled all drivers from my r9 290 1070ti and the vega and reinstalled the vega drivers.. Testing it out again now..

I didnt use DDU i just got it.. uninstalled all drivers from my r9 290 1070ti and the vega and reinstalled the vega drivers.. Testing it out again now..

Ok i Just tested warhammer again after using DDU and freshly installing the 15.2.1 amd drivers. It did improve my fps but not by much. In game in the position i tested prior instead of getting 41-42 fps im getting 43-44fps now. In the 3 benchmarks in the game my Average fps in every benchmark went up 2-3fps. But in the 2nd benchmark the average was 61.4 after ddu and 59.3 before. For the 1070ti it was 73.9, so still much lower in fps. The other benchmarks the 1070TI is only about 6fps higher now. But that 2nd one 12fps is alot

Im going to install the 1070ti and use DDU for that and see if frame rates improves with it as well like it did with the Vega

Just got done testing the 1070ti, it didnt get any fps improvement by using DDU, so the Vega 64 got 2-3 more but nvidia didnt. However all my tests were overclocking my Vega 64.. So i decided to install EVGAs software since it is a Superclocked edition. Like the OC edition on the Asus Vega. And i ran their software to find the best OC and it put my core to 1796mhz on the 1070ti. Ran the warhammer benchmarks again and FPS went up even more over the Vega 64..

In benchmark 2 on the Vega 64 i get 61.4 overclocked, on the 1070ti stock i got 73.9 and with the overclock i got 77.. So im getting 16fps more on the campaign map in warhammer and in battles i get about 7... Thats 20% slower for the Vega 64 in warhammer 2 total war... Thats insaine.. This card is a pile of crap for the money lol... But then of course when the campaign test was running on the Nvidia card i could see crazy screen tearing

Messing with it more. Im not sure whats going on here between the cards. When i load a battle i have saved on warhammer and i ran it on my 1070TI overclocked.. My fps dipped down to 22 for the lowest with all the units clashing at the gate of the castle and i saw and 56 for the highest before i clicked the Start battle button. But the map was in a cave and it was SOOO foggy, i could barely see the fortress unless i moved further up.

On the Vega the high for the fps was 58 before i hit start battle, and all the units at the gate clashing the lowest i could see was 25fps. Also that "FOG" on the 1070ti was not there on the Vega, i could see the castle and battlefield much better. i played the battle over and over and the nvidia card did see the lowest frame rate still..

Im not sure what this fog is, but the Vega doesnt have it, and the 1070TI does..

Someone is cheating here, either this fog is actually in the game and the 1070ti is displaying it properly.. Or this Fog is a way to increase FPS for nvidia like the "fog" in games 15 years ago.. Or Vega doesnt display the in game fog properly like the 1070ti is and AMD is cheating.. I know the game has a FOG setting. Im going to turn it off and check the nvidia card again.. Thats sketchy.. Something isnt right on one of these cards.

i mean i have Doom and Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus but i dont play them at the moment. I could try them i guess..

Also this Vega wont even reach its advertised boost clock... LOL I noticed in wattman it will only go 1490mhz MAX and then it will beging to slide down to 1470 1450 ect and the temps are in the 70s. So i hit to manual and bumped it to 5% and it actually dropped to 1440mhz or so. So i went to 8% and the whole PC just artifacts and locks up. I go to 6.5% and its at 1480mhz.. and then the drivers crash.. This stupid card wont even go near the 1590 boost clock advertised..

Just another nail in the coffin for me and this Vega.. What a peice of JUNK !! Holy crap man, im not even going to try to keep convincing myself to Keep this thing, setting up the RMA now and getting my $600 back.. F THIS

Yea i heard about that somewhere, but i mean this is whats happening.. The card WONT reach 1500mhz even when its still cool. Like i start the game right and then alt tab to check the line graph in wattman for the core and memory speeds.. and it never even reached 1500mhz lets alone 1590 advertised this is before the card even had a chance to heat up.. Make sense ?

When i try to overclock the card to 1500 or higher.. the drivers crash.. and the game artifacts and locks up.. Thats complete BS dont you agree ? I can see lowering the voltage wokring good for when it heats up DURING game play as i noticed the core dropping slowly and slowly. I could sit on the campaign map watch the fps go from 55-53-51-50 as the card downclocked itself as it reached 78c. That was an annoyance too, but the main one is it just crashing 100mhz lower then it advertizes..

UHG, i REALLY wanted this work man, i want freesync so bad... Freesync is so beautiful when you play an FPS game and you look left and right, but a 10-20% loss in performance sucks and this core clock issue uhg !!

I mean wouldnt you be frustrated ? Wouldnt you return the card based on what ive said or would you keep it to have freesync working even if you get lower frame rate

Back