• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about Ubuntu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

I'm new to Linux and I was wondering the following:-

In Windows you have Task Manager to allow you see what programs are running what is the Ubuntu equvilant, and how to access it?

How can I setup auto login, I'm the only user on my PC and I would like to set it so that when I turn on the PC it loads straight into Ubuntu with me having to type my user name and password every time.

I'm trying to edit a file to allow F@H run as a service but when I go to save it I'm told I don't have permissions how can I give myself permissions?

To see the running tasks go

System> Admin> System Monitor.

You can add it to your task bar by right clicking on the icon and pressing add to panal or desktop.

Howto Login Automatically

The file is probably set up with root only editing permissions. One way to fix this would be to change the permissions, but that decreases the security of the OS. A beter solution would be to edit the file as a root/super user. To do this in Ubuntu, simply prefix terminal commands with the word "sudo".
If you wish to use a command line editor, you would simply type:
Code:
sudo nano -w "file_path"
(excluding quotes)
or for a graphical editor type:
Code:
sudo gedit
then open the file with the program.

It is also advisable to backup system files before you edit them, just in case. To do this, in the terminal type:
Code:
sudo cp "file_directory" "file_directory".backup
(without quotes, appending the ".backup" onto whatever the file name is. It looks like an extension, but the dot is just another character in linux. Extentions don't effect the way a file runs in linux.)

I had a permissions message come up before when I was trying to change a file, When I tried to log in as root, to edit the file, I realised I didn't have the password for that account, is there a default password?

grs said:
I had a permissions message come up before when I was trying to change a file, When I tried to log in as root, to edit the file, I realised I didn't have the password for that account, is there a default password?

You have entered the root password when installing Ubuntu, I presume!?
By the way, you don't want/need to login as root, use "sudo" and/or "su" for root-tasks.

Autologin can be established with "sudo gdmsetup" from the terminal.

try the same pw that you used for the primary user. Ubuntu does the whole root thing a bit differently.

I mustn't have been paying attention when I set the root password!! I did try all my usual password and a few other things but no luck, I don't suppose theres a why of looking up the password?
I have manager to set auto login, I found the monitoring tool and with the sudo command I was able to edit the file.

I found the monitoring tool and with the sudo command I was able to edit the file.

how did you use the sudo command without a password?
Earlier I mentioned that Ubuntu handles the super user thing differently. You can't use the command "su root" to login to the root acct. At least in my experience su just gives me an Authentication failure. However, you can log a terminal into root using the command "sudo su".
Is that what's going on with the pw deal?

I typed sudo nano...etc... in to the terminal, it asked for a password so i just typed what I have been using for my account, not the root account, the file opened in the terminal.
I edited the file
Pressed ctrl X to exit
It asked if I wanted to save
I pressed y then enter
It asked for a file name
I left name as it was
I pressed enter and the file was changed.

The file was /etc/init.d/rc.local

But I still can't save the file in gedit without the root account and password.

I'll give kel_p's link a go and see if I can access it that way also.

Last edited:
In Windows I am able to create a batch file (.bat) which I could setup to automatically type a set of commands into the cmd window, Can I create .bat files in Linux and how would I set it to open the terminal?
I want to leave the file sitting on the desktop so I can just double click and let it do everything.

create a file, call it myscript.sh and insert the following..

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# This Bash script opens gnome-terminal

gnome-terminal
echo "terminal opened"

exit

From terminal make script executable with..
Code:
chmod +x myscript.sh

and execute..
Code:
./myscript.sh

I'm sure double clicking will work also..

OK, I have that done. When I double click the file it asks if I want to Run in Terminal, Display, Cancel or Run. How can set it to Run auotmatically? Once the file runs and opens Terminal what do I need to add to the file so it automatically runs a a terminal command like cd/folding/FAH

I'm working from XFCE myself so I'm not sure how to do this from Gnome.. but maybe you should rightclick the file, select properties or something, and search for options to set the default action when dubbelclick.
If you can't find it, I'll start-up Gnome to figure it out..

Ok, I started Gnome and figured it out..
From the Gnome toolbar select "Desktop" -> "preferences" -> "File Management" Select Tab "Behavior" and select "Run executable text files when they are clicked".

grs said:
I typed sudo nano...etc... in to the terminal, it asked for a password so i just typed what I have been using for my account, not the root account, the file opened in the terminal.

"sudo" will prompt for YOUR password, not the root password..that's why it worked. ;)

Misfit138 said:
"sudo" will prompt for YOUR password, not the root password..that's why it worked. ;)

Exactly, Ubuntu-install probably gave you access to some root-tasks by putting you in the sudoers file. Seems to be a common misconception to think sudo makes a user root.

The reason you cannot initially use su on an ubuntu install is because it doesn't set a root password. Using 'sudo passwd' will allow you to set a root password, you will then be able to su root.

Back