• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions With Dual Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingy

Greetings, I'm interested in building a dual loop liquid cooling system for my custom build PC and I'm afraid it's a little out of my league currently. Here's the important specs of my system...

Cooler Master HAF X 942 Case
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz CPU
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB 512-bit Video Card
Silverstone 1500W Power Supply

What I'm hoping to accomplish with a dual loop cooling system is cooling my CPU and chipset with one loop and overclock my CPU between 4.2GHz to 4.5GHz, and my HD 5970 on the other loop so I can overclock it as well. One radiator would probably be attached in the inside top of the case and the second on the outside back of the case itself although I'm unsure of sizes. I've only got the case fans so I guess I need additional ones, right?

I've already pondered about the reservoir/pump I'd like to use with this system, the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs looks decent to me (open for opinions here!), however I'm lost on the rest.

My questions are these...

1. What else do I need for this dual loop e.g. what parts/fittings/screws/radiators/waterblocks/tubing/fans/etc do I need? I'd like either orange tubing or orange colored fluid if possible.

2. What is your recommendations for needed components for highest performance and quality?

3. Anyone who answers the above two questions, can you post links to all the parts I'd need so I can purchase them as quickly as possible?

Thanks in advanced guys! :)

:welcome: to ocf, glad you've decided to join us

Greetings, I'm interested in building a dual loop liquid cooling system for my custom build PC and I'm afraid it's a little out of my league currently. Here's the important specs of my system...

read the sticky, it's really not too complicated of stuff, it just takes some time to get the feel for, so take your time.

Cooler Master HAF X 942 Case
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition 3.2GHz CPU
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard
8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB 512-bit Video Card
Silverstone 1500W Power Supply

can i assume you mean haf-x by haf 942? That psu is WAY overkill for what you're building...head over to this calculator and find something more in line with your needs.

What I'm hoping to accomplish with a dual loop cooling system is cooling my CPU and chipset with one loop and overclock my CPU between 4.2GHz to 4.5GHz, and my HD 5970 on the other loop so I can overclock it as well. One radiator would probably be attached in the inside top of the case and the second on the outside back of the case itself although I'm unsure of sizes. I've only got the case fans so I guess I need additional ones, right?

Read the sticky in this section, it should clear up a LOT of your basic questions like these and put you on the right track.

I've already pondered about the reservoir/pump I'd like to use with this system, the XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs looks decent to me (open for opinions here!), however I'm lost on the rest.

not a bad pump...as for the rest...sticky :D

My questions are these...

1. What else do I need for this dual loop e.g. what parts/fittings/screws/radiators/waterblocks/tubing/fans/etc do I need? I'd like either orange tubing or orange colored fluid if possible.

2. What is your recommendations for needed components for highest performance and quality?

3. Anyone who answers the above two questions, can you post links to all the parts I'd need so I can purchase them as quickly as possible?

Thanks in advanced guys! :)

parts are drasically different for different loops and cooling needs, I encoruage you to reconsider mobo cooling, there's not really an need for it. Don't expect to hit your 4.5 goal wihtout gettign a good batch of cpu (microcenter will check if you have one local)...do some reading, get your basic bearings on the subject of watercooling, then come back with a parts list and some ideas and post :)

Amen. Good post Mor.

OP, welcome to OCF. We will NEVER give you wrong info, we might ask to to do your homework. It's your stuff, your pleasure or your nightmare.

Don't rush it.

Welcome to OCF! There are a lot of very experienced people here. And remember the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask! just try and do a little research first if it still doesn't make sense just ask it can save alot of headache.

Thanks guys for the welcome! :) Ironic too, after posting this topic I started to read the stickies and learned some much needed stuff. I've been able to compile a list of components I'd use for this dual loop liquid cooling system, so tell me what you guys think of my selections thus far (I chose 20 feet of tubing to have some extra)...

Reservoir:
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs w/ Blue LED Light - Clear

Radiators:
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240 Radiator

Fluid:
Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid - 1000 ml - UV Orange

Pumps:
Swiftech MCP355™ 12v Water Pump (Native 3/8") (120 GPH)

Tubing:
PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 3/8"ID 1/2" OD with 1/16" Wall - Clear (20 Feet)

CPU Waterblock:
EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Full Copper - Nickel Plated

Chipset Waterblock:
EK ASUS Crosshair 4 Formula Full Board Cooling Block Kit - Nickel + Acetal (EK-FB ASUS Crosshair 4 - Nickel+Acetal)

GPU Waterblock:
EK Radeon HD 5970 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal+Nickel
EK Radeon HD 5970 VGA Liquid Cooling RAM Backplate - Nickel

And here it is in my shopping baskets with the fittings for each...

So whatcha guys think? I think I'll need double the fluid. I'll probably have to add some fans too since all I've got right now are stock fans.

I am fairly new to water cooling myself, but I know everyone is gonna tell you to drop that liquid and just go with distilled water and an additive, either silver coils or nuke.

I am fairly new to water cooling myself, but I know everyone is gonna tell you to drop that liquid and just go with distilled water and an additive, either silver coils or nuke.
+1^^^^
You are Right!^
Go Mcr 320 50$ CPU + MOBO
Go Mcr 220 45$ GPU
will save u money and IT wont make a big difference in temps, since u are overradding ur needsss!.
For fan,
Gentle Typhoon 1850 with fan controler (5) more than 35$ :)
Or Yateloon High Speed (5) will cost around 20-25$
Pumps are good

Buckle in, I feel a long post comin on :blah:

Thanks guys for the welcome! :) Ironic too, after posting this topic I started to read the stickies and learned some much needed stuff. I've been able to compile a list of components I'd use for this dual loop liquid cooling system, so tell me what you guys think of my selections thus far (I chose 20 feet of tubing to have some extra)...

20 MAY be a bit much...it depends on your routing, but tubing is cheap, so it's better to have too much than too little, 20 should be good, keep reading, when you run out of sticky here, head to xtreme systems and read their liquid cooling sticky, then start reading build logs, they will benefit you TREMENDOUSLY in your applied knowledge

Reservoir:
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay - DDC Dual Pump / Dual Split Reservoirs w/ Blue LED Light - Clear

Radiators:
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240 Radiator

Fluid:
Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid - 1000 ml - UV Orange

Pumps:

Tubing:
PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 3/8"ID 1/2" OD with 1/16" Wall - Clear (20 Feet)

CPU Waterblock:
EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - Full Copper - Nickel Plated

Chipset Waterblock:
EK ASUS Crosshair 4 Formula Full Board Cooling Block Kit - Nickel + Acetal (EK-FB ASUS Crosshair 4 - Nickel+Acetal)

GPU Waterblock:
EK Radeon HD 5970 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal+Nickel
EK Radeon HD 5970 VGA Liquid Cooling RAM Backplate - Nickel

major thing I would change: drop the fluid, it's junk and often clogs blocks. if you want pretty colors (and don't we all :D), just use colored tubing. you don't need the backplate for the 5970 I don't think (but don't quote me on that). The cpu block is really solid. I maintain that mobo cooling is pretty useless, but if it's for bling...well I like shiny stuff too...you may run into issues being underradded depending on what you're planning on putting where. There's also no mention of fans, fans are just as important as anything else in the loop (maybe more.......it's hard to quantify that sorta thing), it's really important to consider them, I can give you links for comparisons if you need them. For tubing, there's a good argument for 1/2" and 3/8", the former with better flow, making it better for low flow situations, and the later with space. Personally, I like how 1/2" looks better than 3/8", but I suggest you look at some builds and see what size you like.

And here it is in my shopping baskets with the fittings for each...

So whatcha guys think? I think I'll need double the fluid. I'll probably have to add some fans too since all I've got right now are stock fans.

Your basket looks good, not exactly how I would do it, but I don't exactly know your end vision either or what you would like. You do need to be aware that with those rads, you will have to use higher speed (read:noise) fans to get the performance you want. Head over to this review and read a couple times, you probably won't get it all the first time (heck, I pickup something new every time I read a review at skinneelabs).

:clap::clap::clap: I love it when I don't have to be the first one to say it. Distilled + PTNuke or a silver killcoil, both if you're feeling frisky

Go Mcr 320 50$ CPU + MOBO
Go Mcr 220 45$ GPU
will save u money and IT wont make a big difference in temps, since u are overradding ur needsss!.

I have to disagree, it could make a big difference in temps at about 3k rpm on fans, espcecially on the gpu loop...but for the fans you recommend below it won't.

For fan,
Gentle Typhoon 1850 with fan controler (5) more than 35$ :)
Or Yateloon High Speed (5) will cost around 20-25$
Pumps are good

fantastic recommendations if you change rads, if not, give skinneelabs a looksee and pick fans that are appropriate.

PS: Just noticed your on an amd, not an i7, you probably aren't underradded (I can never remember which amd is which :S)

Back